C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to locate power steering leak, does this look like it's from the steering rack

Old 02-15-2018, 09:52 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trying to locate power steering leak, does this look like it's from the steering rack

Hi guys and gals, I am trying to locate a power steering leak in my '999 corvette. I removed the alternator and am trying to remove the power steering pump, just broke the pulley for that LOL. Here's some pictures of the leak:
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like rack to me.. But , I'd really really clean everything up.. Then drive
for awhile and recheck.. Racks can be expensive for these.. You could try the
PS leak stop that lucas makes.. It actually works
Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Originally Posted by foggy
Looks like rack to me.. But , I'd really really clean everything up.. Then drive
for awhile and recheck.. Racks can be expensive for these.. You could try the
PS leak stop that lucas makes.. It actually works
It's a pretty big leak I won't lie. I should have posted here before I destroyed the power steering pulley trying to get the alternator bracket off.

Last edited by skittlenips; 02-15-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 AM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

We can rebuild your rack and return it to like new condition. The rebuild starts at $300, if any hard parts need to be repaired or replaced then the cost would go up accordingly. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. We also have some rebuilt cores available for quicker turn around. The cost on those is $800, fully rebuilt and ready to install.

​​​​​​​We also offer new high performance power steering pump and pulleys for your Vette. You can check them out on our website.

If you have any questions about or products or services, please feel free to contact us by phone, email, or PM.

Thanks!
Junior
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by skittlenips
It's a pretty big leak I won't lie. I should have posted here before I destroyed the power steering pulley trying to get the alternator bracket off.
I had the same problem on mine, it was a big leak and it ended up being the rack. not to take away from any sponsors, but if you go on that auction site you can find rebuilt ones for less then 300 shipped, you pay a core and get the rack, install it and send them the bad one.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Originally Posted by midnight01
I had the same problem on mine, it was a big leak and it ended up being the rack. not to take away from any sponsors, but if you go on that auction site you can find rebuilt ones for less then 300 shipped, you pay a core and get the rack, install it and send them the bad one.
How hard is removing the rack? Do you know of any forum posts detailing the steps? Thanks!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:09 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by skittlenips
How hard is removing the rack? Do you know of any forum posts detailing the steps? Thanks!
its quite a bit of work to remove it, while you are there you might as well replace your balancer too if it hasnt been done already. I would do a search here. I thnk there are a few write ups with pics or you can try youtube as well. Froggy I believe has one up on youtube. Make sure you budget several hours if its your 1st time.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:50 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by steering_experts1
We can rebuild your rack and return it to like new condition. The rebuild starts at $300, if any hard parts need to be repaired or replaced then the cost would go up accordingly. Turn around time is about 2 weeks. We also have some rebuilt cores available for quicker turn around. The cost on those is $800, fully rebuilt and ready to install.

​​​​​​​We also offer new high performance power steering pump and pulleys for your Vette. You can check them out on our website.

If you have any questions about or products or services, please feel free to contact us by phone, email, or PM.

Thanks!
Junior
Cannot recommend the upgraded Turn 1 pump enough. It's fantastic. I bought a rebuilt rack from another vendor and was disappointed, wish I went with Turn 1 on that too.

OP,

Mine had a leak JUST like this. It was leaking from where the wires go into the rack below the steering shaft. This is actually a common issue. A rebuilt rack SHOULD fix it.

Last edited by DetroitPlac; 02-16-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:20 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 375 Posts

Quote: "How hard is removing the rack? Do you know of any forum posts detailing the steps? Thanks!"

Here is a good video showing removal of the steering rack to replace the balancer.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I found Froggy's video more helpful than the confounding factory shop manual, which has one flipping pages constantly.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Check that it's not the pressure hose leaking right through the rubber section. I've had 2 pressure hoses that leaked that way. There is a plastic cover over the hose so you don't see the hose leak very easily.

Zip used to sell rebuilt racks for about $200. I think Lonestar rebuilt them.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Use a cleaner get everything bone dry, withthe car jacked up cycle the steering lock to lock several times. Do a visual at each hose end for drops With a dry index finder , run your finger at each hose one at a time checkg connection first , then the hose to hardline joints, the rack at each piston end. Pump shaft. If your finger is shiny it is an indication of your leak location
Old 02-18-2018, 02:00 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Check that it's not the pressure hose leaking right through the rubber section. I've had 2 pressure hoses that leaked that way. There is a plastic cover over the hose so you don't see the hose leak very easily.

Zip used to sell rebuilt racks for about $200. I think Lonestar rebuilt them.
That's where I got my rack from. I wasn't so impressed, ended up going through two.

The tough part is when the rack leaks from where the wires enter on the bottom, it drips onto the high pressure line, making it look like the high pressure line is the root of the issue. Fortunately, you can trace the hose up to see if it's leaking from higher up and dripping down, but it's a real hassle. I spend months trying to track down this leak on my car. Pretty frustrating.

Last edited by DetroitPlac; 02-18-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Getting hydraulic components and their clean n dry before starting to detect a leak goes along way, cycle it a few times then check. If dripping you have a failure.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to locate power steering leak, does this look like it's from the steering rack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to locate power steering leak, does this look like it's from the steering rack