C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger seat buzzing - power seat motor?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:39 PM
DCrooke
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passenger seat buzzing - power seat motor?

I went to sit in my C5 the other day to enjoy quiet and I heard a distinct buzzing sound coming from under the passenger seat. It's a power seat (obviously) with a bad lumbar support motor/pump but something is causing the constant buzz sound and I'm pretty certain that may have been the cause of a parasitic battery drain that led to the death of my previous battery. BTW......this occurs when there is no key in the ignition....the engine is off and nothing is running

Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited by DCrooke; 02-19-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,211 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrooke
I went to sit in my C5 the other day to enjoy quiet and I heard a distinct buzzing sound coming from under the passenger seat. It's a power seat (obviously) with a bad lumbar support motor/pump but something is causing the constant buzz sound and I'm pretty certain that may have been the cause of a parasitic battery drain that led to the death of my previous battery. BTW......this occurs when there is no key in the ignition....the engine is off and nothing is running

Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Doug
Doug, I have not had your issue. But if I do I would first reach under the seat and unhook the seat's electric. If it silenced the noise and stopped the parasitic drain, then I would unbolt the seat, tip it over and hook up the seat electrical again and listen for the buzz to isolate the culprit. Hope you find the cause. Ron
The following users liked this post:
DCrooke (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,220 Likes on 13,930 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Mine does the same. I pulled the relay out of the footwell fuse box to stop the issue. I have not looked at it yet, but I expect the root cause could possibly be my leaking targa. It appears to drip close to the seat switch. Ugh.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The LUMBAR pump and air bag system could have a leak and it trying to maintain the pressure that it needs to fill the bladder.

The LUMBAR system is HOT at ALL TIMES and will attempt to maintain the desired pressure in the bladded.

Try to release the pressure in the bladder so the system isn't looking for a DESIRED PRESSURE and see if the motor stops.

Here is the LUMBAR schematic:

Pull the fuses and see if the issue stops. The one fuse deals with the LUMBAR motor and the other with the control circuits...
The following users liked this post:
Robrote (02-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger seat buzzing - power seat motor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger seat buzzing - power seat motor?