C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Slave Cylinder Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM
deckaust
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Slave Cylinder Leak

Hey all,

Just want to start by saying I know very little about cars, even less Corvettes, but I recently got my first Corvette and it seems to have a leak towards the back of the engine. I've been checking the oil regularly for the past thousand miles or so and the level on the dipstick hasn't changed, so I don't believe it's oil related. However, the clutch was replaced right before I got the car, and the slave cylinder on the system is about where the leak is at. In addition, when I looked under the car, there was an oil spot roughly the size of my palm on the concrete, so I have a piece of cardboard under it to catch it. When I checked the reservoir for the clutch, it was quite low, so I've topped it off and will check it daily. I live in Fayetteville, Arkansas, so does anyone know of a reputable mechanic in the area, and any ideas on things I could do to check the car out before I let someone qualified look at it? Thank you in advance!

Austin
Old 02-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do the dry finger test, but first with something like a brake cleaner clean the whole area squweeky clean n dry, op the clutch after filling, check with a dry finger , if it is shiny you are in the right place. Do this until it is found.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Clean off the underside of the car in that area. Put some aluminum foil under the leak area and collect some of the fluid. Compare the leaked fluid (FEEL & SMELL what is collected to fresh brake fluid and oil. )

Does your car have a slave cyl remote bleeder valve??

Bill
The following users liked this post:
deckaust (02-24-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 PM
deckaust
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Clean off the underside of the car in that area. Put some aluminum foil under the leak area and collect some of the fluid. Compare the leaked fluid (FEEL & SMELL what is collected to fresh brake fluid and oil. )

Does your car have a slave cyl remote bleeder valve??

Bill
I'll definitely have to try this method out! Where exactly would a remote bleeder valve be located on the car?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Depends on how long the remote bleeder hose is.

Somewhere at the fire wall. Mine is long enough to reach the mastercylinder and I have it zip tied there for easy bleeding.

Look down near the back of the engine and see if you can see a braded steel hose coming up from the area where the TT bolts to the bell housing.

Bill
Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM
deckaust
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Depends on how long the remote bleeder hose is.

Somewhere at the fire wall. Mine is long enough to reach the mastercylinder and I have it zip tied there for easy bleeding.

Look down near the back of the engine and see if you can see a braded steel hose coming up from the area where the TT bolts to the bell housing.

Bill
I looked around and didn’t see one, so i don’t think i have it. It’s also been rainy this week so i haven’t had a chance to collect fluid either, is there anything else i can do while i wait for better weather?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

So...if you do manage to collect fluid somehow, the difference between oil and clutch fluid is that the latter is hygroscopic (sucks water from the air). You can use this characteristic to figure it out. Given enough water, brake/clutch fluid will wash away. Oil won't.

Get notified of new replies

To Potential Slave Cylinder Leak

Quick Reply: Potential Slave Cylinder Leak