C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:32 AM
jdaugherty
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sway bars

so i was playing around under my car last night and noticed that the end links were going bad and could be replaced. so that sparked my interest to wonder if it would be worth investing in a new set of sway bars while im at it!!! any thoughts on this or experiences with this thanks!!!!
i have a 98 z51 a4 with 70k miles on it
Old 02-21-2018, 07:56 AM
jdaugherty
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdaugherty
so i was playing around under my car last night and noticed that the end links were going bad and could be replaced. so that sparked my interest to wonder if it would be worth investing in a new set of sway bars while im at it!!! any thoughts on this or experiences with this thanks!!!!
i have a 98 z51 a4 with 70k miles on it
i also have the magnetic ride control if that makes a difference, i am going to lower my car on stock bolts dont want to go lower than that due to getting out of the driveway, and would like to eventually upgrade my shocks and springs
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM
jumpmanmb87
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Use the search function, literally millions of threads on sway bars. Common ones are c6 z06, c6 z51, JOC sways, the list continues
Old 02-21-2018, 12:10 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I am not an expert in sway bars, but I recently went through a replacement of shocks and sway bars to Alden American coil overs and Steinjager sways. Mine is a daily driver.

After about a month of usage I am STILL dialing in the coilovers. I am not saying that they were a bad choice, but I am beginning to think that the cost and install were not worth the effort. Time will tell as I continue to work the settings.

But the sways, a far different story. These have been well worth the cost and effort. If memory serves, the front is slightly larger than the stock C6 Z06 version and the rear is slightly smaller than the same. But for $200-odd dollars, the price for the sways AND the bushings can't be beat.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

The sway bars are a great upgrade from the stock ones.

I did it on two '99 Z51 cars.

On one I used the stock C6 Z51 sway bars. It worked great and is my first choice.

On the other I used the stock C6 Z06 sway bars. (Note that they are the same as the C6 Grand Sport bars. Also note that the front sway bar is the same as the Z51 bar. The rear C6 Z06 bar is bigger than the C6 Z51 bar.) In my street driving they felt the same as the C6 Z51 bars.

However, many people suggest that the C6 Z06/GS bars have a rear bar that is too big and will cause oversteer unless you have large rear tires over 325's. In my case I didn't notice that, but I also only drove on the street and didn't push it hard enough to find if it had oversteer or not.

Also use the metal end links. The early cars had plastic ones that fail quickly.

Try looking in the used parts section as they come up for sale periodically. I got both sets pretty reasonable with end links for about $125-$150 per set.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:39 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I have the C6Z bars and love them. Got them from the boys at Cultrag.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

The early Z51 sway bars were much smaller than the 00-04 Z51. In autocrossing many of the C5 Corvettes changed only the front bars as a result and went from the plastic sway bar links to the later metal links. one of the best handling set ups was the 24mm rear bar (stock) and a 32-33mm front bar (C6 Z/Z51). As I recall your rear bar is around 19mm and the front around 24 mm.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jdaugherty
i also have the magnetic ride control if that makes a difference, i am going to lower my car on stock bolts dont want to go lower than that due to getting out of the driveway, and would like to eventually upgrade my shocks and springs
QUOTE!! "i also have the magnetic ride control if that makes a difference"

ALL the F-45 chasssi came stock with a BASE FE-1 suspension.

Unless someone changed out the sawbars, are you sure that's what you have?????

F-45 Its most likely wore out and NOT providing you all the wheel dampening that you need to have FUN! I hated EVERY minute of my 98 with F-45..

If it were me, I would find some C6 Z51 bars, get a set of C6 ZO6 shocks from CULTRAG, have that silly F-45 tuned out of the BCM using a TECH2.

That will put a great big grin on your face!

OH. I lowered my 02 Zo6 on stock bolts and noticed that it significantly reduces the amount of suspension travel. I bottomed out my cars suspension on a dip in the road and it almost caused me to loose control (going a little faster than normal road speeds) . MAN, what a BUTT PUCKERING SURPRISE that was!!!!!!!

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-22-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 AM
jdaugherty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
QUOTE!! "i also have the magnetic ride control if that makes a difference"

ALL the F-45 chasssi came stock with a BASE FE-1 suspension.

Unless someone changed out the sawbars, are you sure that's what you have?????

F-45 Its most likely wore out and NOT providing you all the wheel dampening that you need to have FUN! I hated EVERY minute of my 98 with F-45..

If it were me, I would find some C6 Z51 bars, get a set of C6 ZO6 shocks from CULTRAG, have that silly F-45 tuned out of the BCM using a TECH2.

That will put a great big grin on your face!

OH. I lowered my 02 Zo6 on stock bolts and noticed that it significantly reduces the amount of suspension travel. I bottomed out my cars suspension on a dip in the road and it almost caused me to loose control (going a little faster than normal road speeds) . MAN, what a BUTT PUCKERING SURPRISE that was!!!!!!!
so i took this picture last night maybe you can tell me what i have here lol. im looking to upgrade the shocks but was curious about what the electronics are for!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Those are definitely F45 shocks. Unlike Bill, I have not had a bad experience with them, and rather enjoy the ability to change settings in a daily driver. Comfortable cruising on the highway, tighten up for relatively high speed cornering.

I did change out the sway bars to C6 Z51 sway bars with metal endlinks. It tightened up the steering feel and reduced body roll in turns while not having too much of an impact on the ride. If you're running base C5 tire sizes, I would recommend C6 Z51 sway bars. C6 Z06 sway bars are for running wider tires from what I have read.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Those are definitely F45 shocks. Unlike Bill, I have not had a bad experience with them, and rather enjoy the ability to change settings in a daily driver. Comfortable cruising on the highway, tighten up for relatively high speed cornering.

I did change out the sway bars to C6 Z51 sway bars with metal endlinks. It tightened up the steering feel and reduced body roll in turns while not having too much of an impact on the ride. If you're running base C5 tire sizes, I would recommend C6 Z51 sway bars. C6 Z06 sway bars are for running wider tires from what I have read.
I have the C6Z sways, and I haven’t felt anything to concern myself with. I’ve found all of the benefits you mention. It’s been a win win for me.

Get notified of new replies

To sway bars

Quick Reply: sway bars