C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

doors will not unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 PM
ConcreteMan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doors will not unlock

I have tried to unlock both doors with my keys on my zr1. I have tried both keys on each doors to no avail. What are my options?
Thanks,
rg
Old 02-23-2018, 07:19 PM
ant-knee470
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like something in the tumblers, Kind of odd to happen to both doors tho.. Or something with the key
I would spray little wd-40 in the locks and try it.. Does it feel like the key is doing anything?
Ant...

Last edited by ant-knee470; 02-23-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:31 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

What year? This sounds like a job for a good locksmith generically.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:42 AM
ConcreteMan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
The year of the Vette is 1990 Zr1.
When I insert the key, it moves both ways (right & left from center position), but the door will not open (either side - driver or passenger). I don't think that the wd-40 will work, but will give it a try. Any other help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 AM
ant-knee470
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ConcreteMan
Hi All,
When I insert the key, it moves both ways (right & left from center position), but the door will not open (either side - driver or passenger). I don't think that the wd-40 will work, but will give it a try. Any other help will be greatly appreciated!!
Can you get in the car? If so..

I would pull one of the door panels and take a look at the lock(s) from inside and see if you can see anything in there.. Sounds like the metal arms fell off the lock mechanism , Maybe the plastic clips that hold them in place are broken... Kind of odd to happen to both doors at same time..

Just a thought..

Ant...

Last edited by ant-knee470; 02-25-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:21 AM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by ConcreteMan
Hi All,
Probably Best and most knowledgeable answers are going to come from those that have/had C4's with similar issues.

And that is going to come in the C4 Forum and far less likely in the C5 Forum. JMHO
Old 02-25-2018, 06:31 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts

The screwdriver method will get you in but its not going to help your door any. Don't ask how I know...
​​​​​​​
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

What a pain in the backside.
I would end up working a coat hanger through the window somehow and using it to pull the power lock switch or the lock lever/****.
Its a frameless window so this shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:58 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

He said in Post #4 that the doors will not open. I think either PDT post or IHBD would be the only two ways to get in. Neither one will be easy.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:05 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

How long have you owned this car?

Do you know the history of the car?

Do you have the Key FOB that opens the door electronically? (Will it?)

Are you POSITIVE you have the right key to the car? (did it ever work?)
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

My 93 using keys to lock or unlock is very hard to do with out force. See if the door panels have been off if so look behind and you can look for lubrication points or cheap hardware that probably needs replacing. Also i am the original owner with 15000 miles and garaged since day 1
Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
90's didn't come with key fobs................

If he has one, and it works: A: It's aftermarket, B: He could probably get in his car and this thread wouldn't exist.
I was asking these questions for good reason.

A new member with little back ground information asking how to get in a zr1 essentially with no working door key for both doors raises flags to me.

Not throwing accusations, but I'm not going to help someone figure a way in to a car past a security devices that is the most basic and just happens to be not working on both doors?.

This person might not now about the FOB stuff. (I happen to) For all I know it is just a guy looking for ways to get in to someone's vehicle.

Most likely not, but you never know these days, and it seems nobody here even thought of that.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I was asking these questions for good reason.

A new member with little back ground information asking how to get in a zr1 essentially with no working door key for both doors raises flags to me.

Not throwing accusations, but I'm not going to help someone figure a way in to a car past a security devices that is the most basic and just happens to be not working on both doors?.

This person might not now about the FOB stuff. (I happen to) For all I know it is just a guy looking for ways to get in to someone's vehicle.

Most likely not, but you never know these days, and it seems nobody here even thought of that.
Good point.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Well he hasn't been back. And now that you're accused him of possibly being a thief, he probably won't be. There isn't a joy-rider in the country that doesn't know about the screwdriver in the lock trick which takes about 7 seconds. The methods outlined in this thread take a half hour or more. I don't think he's trying to steal a car. I think he's trying to open his own.

Which I'm sure he's done by now. It's been almost a week.
DUUUHHH...Okay smart guy...He never came back long before I posted. Why do you think I asked the questions AFTER you already gave step by step instructions to breaking in a car?

Use your brain a little before just spewing information out to people. Cool you had answers for the person, not cool you did not think before hand and now try to say I as one of the posters days after and a almost blank account gets offended and leaves.

I sure hope you are a troll. Your username says TONS about your personality otherwise, and your comments speak the rest.

Discretion is advised.
I could see this changing this guys life on the forum.

Last edited by pologreen1; 02-27-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I sure hope you are a troll.
C'mon, Polo. You've been around long enough to know that IHBD is one of the more courteous and knowledgeable guys on this Forum! Insults are not appreciated . . . please!

Concrete Man has only posted twice on this Forum, and seems to be a little confused about his ZR1. He wasn't very clear about whether he couldn't get into his car, or whether his problem was only that his doors wouldn't unlock with his door key. I'd guess that he DOES have a way to lock and unlock his car, apparently with an aftermarket remote entry system (if it's true the '90 ZR1 didn't originally have one). If I had a ZR1, I certainly wouldn't leave it unlocked! (I never use my door key either, since I have a remote entry system on my '84.)

If the door lock linkages are disconnected, the screwdriver trick will certainly damage the locks, but the SOB might be discouraged enough to stop his nefarious actions! (Hopefully!)

Old 02-28-2018, 06:14 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
C'mon, Polo. You've been around long enough to know that IHBD is one of the more courteous and knowledgeable guys on this Forum! Insults are not appreciated . . . please!

Concrete Man has only posted twice on this Forum, and seems to be a little confused about his ZR1. He wasn't very clear about whether he couldn't get into his car, or whether his problem was only that his doors wouldn't unlock with his door key. I'd guess that he DOES have a way to lock and unlock his car, apparently with an aftermarket remote entry system (if it's true the '90 ZR1 didn't originally have one). If I had a ZR1, I certainly wouldn't leave it unlocked! (I never use my door key either, since I have a remote entry system on my '84.)

If the door lock linkages are disconnected, the screwdriver trick will certainly damage the locks, but the SOB might be discouraged enough to stop his nefarious actions! (Hopefully!)

You are right.

He is a great wealth of knowledge here.

I should not have responded to his post to me at the time I did and how I did.

I did make it clear I was not accusing him of theft though, so it pissed me off.

It was rude and I apologize to Ihatebarkingdogs for the rude comment

Get notified of new replies

To doors will not unlock

Quick Reply: doors will not unlock