C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a work aroound or fix for the Steering Wheel Position Sensor on my 99?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:44 PM
The Mountain Kat
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there a work aroound or fix for the Steering Wheel Position Sensor on my 99?

Unavailable the last time that I checked.
Did someone find a fix for this sensor failure?

Last edited by The Mountain Kat; 03-17-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 863 Likes on 667 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Have you been getting this code for a while?
I ask because I just had my steering rack loose while working on the front of the engine and in spite of paying attention apparently let the position move 1 notch out of alignment. I started getting C1287/C1288 codes. Tried loosening the rack, lining up the wheels as close to dead center as I could see and snugged down the rack. Still had the codes. Took it in for a 4-wheel alignment and not a code since then. Hopefully this will work for you.
If not, I believe the sensor is part # 26058286, and good luck on finding one. You might want to check with Gene Culley at Cultrag to see if he can help.
If Gene does not have a new one (and it's probably doubtful he does), you might try Marc at Vettenuts to see if he has any used ones available.
Both of these are forum vendors and very helpful.
Also, there are some videos on Youtube showing both how to test the sensor as well as replace it if necessary.
Best wishes with this.

By the way, I spent some time at DMAFB back in the early 80s. Really enjoyed Tucson!

Last edited by Route99; 03-17-2018 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added comment.

Quick Reply: Is there a work aroound or fix for the Steering Wheel Position Sensor on my 99?