C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potentially Huge Clutch Labour Savings

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 PM
Jayman
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Potentially Huge Clutch Labour Savings

Hello everyone!

Looking for feedback on this process please.

1. Has anyone done a clutch this way without completely dropping the rear end?
2. Can you add the clutch kit, master cylinder, pilot bearing, release bearing, drive shift flex joints and slave with bearing using this technique?

Watch "Replacing a Clutch on a Corvette | Two Guys Garage". Under 10 minutes.

If this is possible I see it as a huge savings on labour costs.

Thanks for looking

Jay
Old 03-18-2018, 06:26 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,246 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Old 03-18-2018, 06:45 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I don't see where they shaved hours off of the install, they didn't remove the bellhousing but that isn't going to save that much time... not to mention some clutches you may not be able to install with the bellhousing still bolted onto the engine and if you need to replace the rear main seal or cover gasket then the bellhousing will have to come off anyway
Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Jayman
Racer

Originally Posted by neutron82
I don't see where they shaved hours off of the install, they didn't remove the bellhousing but that isn't going to save that much time... not to mention some clutches you may not be able to install with the bellhousing still bolted onto the engine and if you need to replace the rear main seal or cover gasket then the bellhousing will have to come off anyway
I guess that's part of what I'm looking for having never done the clutch yet. I'm getting about 8 hours or so but this just seemed so much quicker. Just an illusion then?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:05 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

what seems quicker to you besides the heavily edited short video?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Jayman
Racer

what seems quicker to you besides the heavily edited short video?
As I said never having done this before I have nothing to compare to. If they're not completely removing the rear it certainly seems faster but by how much I couldn't comment.
Hoping the experts will chime in
Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Also, getting that pilot bearing out can be a bear with the driveline still in the way. I've had one come out easily and one was extremely difficult, even with the dedicated puller.

I've heard of guys doing it this way in a matter of a couple of hours with practice but I personally don't like to rush or cut corners with stuff like this.

I could easily use this method as I have the lift and tools to do it but I've always just pulled the rear and TT.

Last edited by Patches; 03-18-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Jayman
Racer

Originally Posted by Patches
Also, getting that pilot bearing out can be a bear with the driveline still in the way. I've had one come out easily and one was extremely difficult, even with the dedicated puller.

I've heard of guys doing it this way in a matter of a couple of hours with practice but I personally don't like to rush or cut corners with stuff like this.
I hear ya. I figure if there are complications like a stubborn bearing as you mentioned, one could always continue to tear it down further at that point.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

they pretty much already have it tore down, that's the thing... from what I can see they didn't take off the brake calipers and parking brake cables which is just a few more bolts but that's the only other thing holding the complete rear end in the car... they also have a lift so they didn't have to lower it to the ground and out of the way like you might need to do if you're working on jack stands but that would take all of a few more mins if they needed to move it... it might look easier on a short video but there is nothing groundbreaking or saving you a ton of time or labor costs in my opinion... even if a shop did it in a way to save them time they would probably charge you the normal amount anyway, that's how shops make money
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Jayman
Racer

they pretty much already have it tore down, that's the thing... from what I can see they didn't take off the brake calipers and parking brake cables which is just a few more bolts but that's the only other thing holding the complete rear end in the car... they also have a lift so they didn't have to lower it to the ground and out of the way like you might need to do if you're working on jack stands but that would take all of a few more mins if they needed to move it... it might look easier on a short video but there is nothing groundbreaking or saving you a ton of time or labor costs in my opinion... even if a shop did it in a way to save them time they would probably charge you the normal amount anyway, that's how shops make money
Okay fair enough. Is 8 hours about average for this then?
Old 03-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

The use of a motorcycle jack, and skateboard make the job much easer when doing this on floor jacks.

Really, I've done this more then once, and the Pilot bearing is a pain. I now have a modded puller. Not in photo, those are the ones that failed.

Mark.

Last edited by Moto One; 03-19-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving to the Tech section.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Summiz
Instructor

My entire assembly had to come all the way down due to the transmission rebuild, but if dropping it down THAT far means not having to dick with the wiring harness, brakes, axles (fuel line), AND there are no complications, then I could see it all happening pretty quickly.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:17 PM
Jayman
Racer

Originally Posted by Summiz
My entire assembly had to come all the way down due to the transmission rebuild, but if dropping it down THAT far means not having to dick with the wiring harness, brakes, axles (fuel line), AND there are no complications, then I could see it all happening pretty quickly.
Makes sense too!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I think there was a LOT of editing and oversimplification, in that video....
Old 03-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Mark

I had to LOL when I saw all of those broken pullers. YES, that pilot bearing can be a real pain to get in an out. IT IS A MUST CHANGE PART!!!!!! If you don't change it, it will most likely fail shortly after the drive train reinstall!!!
I have found that IF, you heat the crank flange just a little (around 150 deg) it comes out and goes in MUCH EASIER!!

If your car has near or over 100,000 miles, you may want to consider pulling the Torque tube and inspecting and replacing the stock rubber couplers inside. They most likely will be very deteriorated and cracked (ready to fail)!! You should also be ready to replace the TT bearings if they are loose or rough.

That Vid procedure is at the most a SHORT CUT and there are numerous other things that SHOULD BE looked at/inspected and repaired if necessary

ONE EXAMPLE:

Differential output shaft seals "Should be replaced" They will most likely leak after the reinstall if they are not already.

Bill
Old 03-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Jayman
Racer

Excellent advice!

Get notified of new replies

To Potentially Huge Clutch Labour Savings

Old 03-28-2018, 03:51 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Huh? I didn't see those guys do anything on their clutch job that I didn't do on my own—and I only had jackstands. You don't need to drag the whole drivetrain out from under the car, all you gotta do is move it back a foot or two to give yourself enough room to sling the slide hammer for the pilot bearing.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Jayman
Racer

Originally Posted by huesmann
Huh? I didn't see those guys do anything on their clutch job that I didn't do on my own—and I only had jackstands. You don't need to drag the whole drivetrain out from under the car, all you gotta do is move it back a foot or two to give yourself enough room to sling the slide hammer for the pilot bearing.
Good to know! Does the torque tube stay intact then while this happens?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:00 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

They undid everything you have to undo to pull the whole motor back part of the drivetrain out from under the car. Not "messing" with the brake lines or wiring is just not disconnecting a few clips and connectors holding the lines and wires.

As already mentioned, it's not a bad idea to pull the torque tube apart to make sure everything is OK inside. It's also a good idea to pull the half shafts and replace the seals in the differential.

So, the shortcut doesn't really gain much and it doesn't allow you to do some of things you should be doing while you're at it.

The driveline drops out of these cars fairly easily. I just pulled the whole drivetrain out of a 2008 Vette as a complete assembly using a 2-post lift. It took about 2 hours to drop it.

Quick Reply: Potentially Huge Clutch Labour Savings