C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 wont start after cleaning throttle body & MAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 05:23 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts
Default 99 wont start after cleaning throttle body & MAF

Hey guys,

I decided to clean the MAF sensor & throttle body with the correct sprays CRC MAF & Throttle body sprays and now she wont start. I did not touch the sensor with anything but spray.

Getting the following codes
BO-FRA
U1016H
U1064H
U1096H

Car ran perfect last time out with no codes

I check all connections and I disconnected battery for a few minutes, can anyone tell me what I did wrong or what I can check?

The first time starting she ran for about 10 seconds then started running bad and stalled
The car now cranks, starts & stalls smell of gas like its flooded

Last edited by pjdbm; 04-07-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:55 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by pjdbm
Hey guys,

I decided to clean the MAF sensor & throttle body with the correct sprays CRC MAF & Throttle body sprays and now she wont start. I did not touch the sensor with anything but spray.

Getting the following codes
BO-FRA
U1016H
U1064H
U1096H

Car ran perfect last time out with no codes

I check all connections and I disconnected battery for a few minutes, can anyone tell me what I did wrong or what I can check?

The car cranks, starts & stalls smell of gas like its flooded
In order to help you, can you please advise how you cleaned the throttle body/MAF Sensor;
MAF Sensor>> Did you clean the MAF in Situ, or did you remove it from the car for cleaning? If you removed the MAF for cleaning, did you disassemble the MAF sensor from the MAF housing?
Throttle Body>> Did you clean the Throttle Body in Situ, or did you remove it from the car for cleaning? If you removed the Throttle Body for cleaning, did you disassemble the Throttle Body by removing the plate drive motor and throttle position sensor from the Throttle Body housing?

Is your "check engine" amber light illuminated "solid" when the engine was running, OR was the "check engine" amber light "Flashing Off/On" when the engine was running?

At first glance of your problem, I'm thinking the MAF Sensor might be the issue and NOTE> The MAF sensor is "airflow direction sensitive" meaning that the airflow has to be going the proper direction through the MAF sensor.

Post Up

Goose
The following users liked this post:
pjdbm (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Should I leave the battery cable off a half an hour? how long does the battery cable have to be disconnected for the computer to do the re learn?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:04 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69
In order to help you, can you please advise how you cleaned the throttle body/MAF Sensor;
MAF Sensor>> Did you clean the MAF in Situ, or did you remove it from the car for cleaning? If you removed the MAF for cleaning, did you disassemble the MAF sensor from the MAF housing?
Throttle Body>> Did you clean the Throttle Body in Situ, or did you remove it from the car for cleaning? If you removed the Throttle Body for cleaning, did you disassemble the Throttle Body by removing the plate drive motor and throttle position sensor from the Throttle Body housing?

Is your "check engine" amber light illuminated "solid" when the engine was running, OR was the "check engine" amber light "Flashing Off/On" when the engine was running?

At first glance of your problem, I'm thinking the MAF Sensor might be the issue and NOTE> The MAF sensor is "airflow direction sensitive" meaning that the airflow has to be going the proper direction through the MAF sensor.

Post Up

Goose
I took the MAF unit out of the car and thoroughly cleaned it with spray in both directions.

The throttle body I let hang to avoid disconnecting the the coolant lines to it, I did not disassemble the motor but took off the harness. I thoroughly sprayed the throttle body while it was hanging and moved the throttle plate to clean it first by spray, then by a clean rag.

I dont remember seeing a check engine lite on while it was running.

Last edited by pjdbm; 04-07-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Should I leave the battery cable off a half an hour? how long does the battery cable have to be disconnected for the computer to do the re learn?
Not sure disconnecting the battery is going to help improve you situation...
Reconnect the battery cable, try to start the motor and post up the results to the above questions.
Reference info
Testing a GM MAF Sensor
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4....e-maf-sensor-1

Cleaning a GM MAF Sensor

Cheers,
Goose
The following 3 users liked this post by 69:
pjdbm (04-08-2018), rrwirsi (04-08-2018), tentuna (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 07:21 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

I did not disassemble the MAF sensor from the housing to clean it, could this have done something?

Last edited by pjdbm; 04-08-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:25 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 69
Not sure disconnecting the battery is going to help improve you situation...
Reconnect the battery cable, try to start the motor and post up the results to the above questions.
Reference info
Testing a GM MAF Sensor

Cleaning a GM MAF Sensor

Cheers,
Goose
Thanks for the link
Old 04-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I did not disassemble the MAF sensor from the housing to clean it, could this have done something?
Depending on your cleaning technique, you may have broken a MAF sensor wire;

OK, lets get your Corvette back on the road!

Proceed as follows,

Perform detailed visual inspection of the intake duct/clamps and vacuum line where the throttle body and MAF sensor connect to the ducts for proper installation. Ensure MAF Sensor airflow arrow is pointing in the correct direction. Post up any issues found.

Fully disconnect the throttle body electrical connectors and inspect the male/female electrical connecters for bent/damaged electrical contact pins. If the electrical contact pins are good, reconnect connecters to the throttle body. Post up any issues found.

Fully disconnect the MAF Sensor electrical connector and inspect the male/female electrical connecters for bent/damaged electrical contact pins. If the electrical contact pins are good, reconnect connecter to the MAF Sensor. Post up any issues found.

Reconnect battery, clear all codes in the DIC.
Start engine, keep eyes on the amber "check engine" light.
If the engine starts, post up how the engine is running and the condition of the "check engine" light.

if the "check engine" light was illuminated with the engine running, retrieve DIC codes and post up.

if the "check engine" light was NOT illuminated with the engine running, retrieve DIC codes and post up.

Cheers,
Goose
pjdbm (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 11:28 AM
pjdbm
Drifting

Ok, really need your help here, this car is in a garage attached to my house

I inspected all duck work, harness connections all were fine, MAF is facing correctly

I reconnected my negative cable and it was very hard to start but got it started and running at high RPM with foot on gas, then she idle fine but get this, I look on the ground it raw gas is leaking out around where the gas filter/exhast area!

How could this be? I had to run a garden hose to wash it out, I need to get my car out of the garage as it is stinking up my house and could cause an issue.

That is what I am doing now
ps no codes
Old 04-08-2018, 12:30 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Fuel filter line popped off ???? WTH?!

reinstalled it and car is running!!

thanks for the support 69, would like to buy you a beer
Old 04-08-2018, 03:31 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Would anyone have any idea why this fuel line would have popped off? could this have built up too much pressure after cleaning the throttle body? It just doesn't make sense why & how this happened.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:38 PM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts

Crazy Coincidence I think.. They aren't really connected/related.. Since they are 15 feet apart from each other..
pjdbm (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Originally Posted by foggy
Crazy Coincidence I think.. They aren't really connected/related.. Since they are 15 feet apart from each other..
This has me crazy but putting it behind me , had the car out and through all the RPMs and all is good with no codes or CEL

Thanks for the support
Old 04-09-2018, 02:15 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

After sleeping over this and as a technician, I like to know why & how things like this happen to make some sense out of a situation.

1) I did the MAF & throttle body cleaning with no problem and all was perfect with that cleaning.

2) The car did start and ran well for about 10 seconds then ran rough and stalled.
This is when the the connection started to come loose and fuel pressure dropped making a no start.

3)Leaving battery unplugged did nothing.

4) Next day reconnected battery cable and tried to start. Was enough fuel pressure to hard start and run until total disconnection of the gas line to gas filter and thats when I actually saw gas running out the rear driver side area.

That gas filter was on there for over a year & 3500 miles, that is the only thing that does NOT make sense at this point.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

That must have been some cleaning!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:50 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Yep, I'm OCD when it comes to this car

The positive thing it that it was fixed without throwing money at parts

Get notified of new replies