C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach died

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:48 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Tach died

I did some searching and found others with a similar problem, but no obvious solution. This just happened to me today. When I start the car the tach does its sweep thing, and then drops to zero. And it stays there, even though everything else works perfectly. The car runs and drives just like it should, but apparently I can cruise at 75mph at 0rpms.

Any idea where I should start looking?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Vett4MVZ
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same exact issue with my 2000. Checked everything CPU, Can sensor etc. Finally replaced gage cluster. Problem solved. Marc at Vettnuts is where I got new Cluster and had correct milage flashed at Chevy dealer
Old 04-14-2018, 06:34 AM
mark4cam
Racer

That just seems extreme, to have to replace a whole cluster because the tach died. Weird. It's strange that the initialization works and the needle sweeps, but then nothing. I'm suspecting the signal is lost somewhere, will try to dig into it this weekend.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:23 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Thanks for the info. The weird thing is we went for a long drive today and the tach started working again. Then it stopped again. Then it started again. So I think I have some kind of connectivity issue. I pulled the codes and here's what I've got.

10-PCM P0654 H C - Engine Speed Output Circuit, looks like the tach
28-TCS C1247 H - can't find this one
58-SDM B0090 H - can't find this one
BO-RFA C2100 H C - yep one of my tire sensors is out
BO-RFA C2105 H - interesting, this one works fine
Old 04-15-2018, 12:17 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same issue with the cluster not reading RPMs. On my car the cluster was fine, the wiring from the PCM to the cluster had an open. Had a new wire run from the PCM to the cluster to fix the issue.

If you want to look at the wiring here is the schematic.

Last edited by RedRiderZR1; 04-15-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I also have a tach issue. It wants to stick at lower rpms but once past 2000 rpms it works perfectly. Usually after a day or two of driving it will begin to work normally again. The HUD is showing the rpms accurately.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:12 PM
mark4cam
Racer

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
I had the same issue with the cluster not reading RPMs. On my car the cluster was fine, the wiring from the PCM to the cluster had an open. Had a new wire run from the PCM to the cluster to fix the issue.

If you want to look at the wiring here is the schematic.

Thanks! That is what I need to start troubleshooting. I really need to pick up the service manuals. FWIW it started working again for at least a little while, definitely something squirrelly in the connection.

Originally Posted by wayneinvirginia
I also have a tach issue. It wants to stick at lower rpms but once past 2000 rpms it works perfectly. Usually after a day or two of driving it will begin to work normally again. The HUD is showing the rpms accurately.
My HUD isn't working either, so I had nothing. I need to get the ambition to pull the dash pad and dig into the HUD.

Get notified of new replies

To Tach died

Quick Reply: Tach died