C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New air intake causes codes p0172 and p0175

Old 04-21-2018, 08:55 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New air intake causes codes p0101, p0172 and p0175

Hello folks,

I bought my 2004 Z06 a few years ago. It came with a Vararam intake. I replace that intake with a dual cone type last year. Today, I replaced the dual cone intake with the stock C5 Z06 air box and new WIX air filter. The car is now showing the CEL with p0172 and p0175 at the same time viewed with the DIC. I replaced / changed no other parts at this time. AFAIK, the car was not throwing these codes, nor a CEL prior to the stock air box install today. I tried pulling fuses 16 and 23 to force a fuel curve re-learn (found this suggestion in a forum search), but the codes are still showing in the DIC, but no CEL yet. Any ideas?

Thank you

Documented history and summary of this issue:

1. Car was purchased in October 2014 with the Vararam. No H or C p0172 and p0175 codes present. No parts or tuning documentation.
2. Last year in 2017, the Vararam was removed and replaced with a dual cone-type of intake/filter. No H or C p0172 and p0175 codes present.
3. April 2018, the dual-cone intake/filters were replaced with the OE Z06 air box and Wix filter. p0172 and p0175 H and C codes present with CEL.
4. April 2018, I performed the re-learn procedure FWIW (Key On Engine Off, removed fuses 16 and 23, Key Off, replace fuses, start car and run engine at idle for 15 minutes, then test drive it for 20+ minutes.) After clearing the PCM comm codes, no other codes showed initially, but the CEL pops again with p0172 and p0175 as C and H.
5. April 2018, triple-check everything, clean the MAF again, re-assemble the intake up to the throttle body and check for air leaks. I'll drive the car, along with some data logging, for a week see how it goes.

Last edited by rock_man; 07-17-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added problem history and summary
Old 04-21-2018, 10:16 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Did you have to move the location of the MAF?
Thinking either just moving it could cause that, maybe it's not air tight, or the car was tuned for the Vararam and needs to be retuned.
The following users liked this post:
rock_man (04-24-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
Did you have to move the location of the MAF?
Thinking either just moving it could cause that, maybe it's not air tight, or the car was tuned for the Vararam and needs to be retuned.
Hi, no the MAF never moved and is flowing the in correct direction. All the connections are tight. But you bring up a good point, thank you. The car may have previously been tuned, but I have no records of it. I didn't know the Vararam requires an engine tune?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you no longer have the CEL then the codes are left over from when you did have the problem.

Codes do not just magically go away after a problem caused them to be set. You have to either clear them or wait for the requisite number of ignition cycles or warm ups without the conditions causing the codes to be set. For P0172 he shop manual says that number is 40. The number is code dependent and not the same across all codes.........
Thank you for the reply. I was thinking the computer needs more time to re-learn the intake, or I need a re-tune. Currently, p0172 and p0175 are both showing H and C. Fortunately, it is a rich condition. It could be worse.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

More than likely the car was tuned when you had the veraram. Since it was pulling cooler ambient air (more dense) it needed more fuel to run optimally. With the dual cone and stock cleaners, it is now getting warmer (up to 170F) air (less dense) and setting the rich codes. It takes 50 ignition cycles for the PCM to retune and even then you have no idea if it is running rich or lean, I would either get it returned or at a minimum put the original tune back in. When you throw the 172/175 codes your PCM if showing the Long term fuel trims are more than 25% off.
rock_man (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 01:46 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gordy M
More than likely the car was tuned when you had the veraram. Since it was pulling cooler ambient air (more dense) it needed more fuel to run optimally. With the dual cone and stock cleaners, it is now getting warmer (up to 170F) air (less dense) and setting the rich codes. It takes 50 ignition cycles for the PCM to retune and even then you have no idea if it is running rich or lean, I would either get it returned or at a minimum put the original tune back in. When you throw the 172/175 codes your PCM if showing the Long term fuel trims are more than 25% off.
Hi and thank you for the reply. I wasn't aware the Vararam or the dual cones needed a tune. Some basic data logging at idle shows Long Term Fuel Trims at -18% both banks, with Short Term Fuel Trims bouncing in single digits around zero. LTFTs move towards zero when the accelerator is pressed. I haven't performed any detailed logging.

Can I reset the fuel trims with a scan tool, or just wait for the 'puter to adjust?

I was thinking to double-check my install and drive it to see if the 'puter eventually sorts itself out. If the rich condition persists, I'll start looking for a local Corvette tuner.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

If you scan tool is bi-directional you can reset the LTFT and then take it on a 20 minute drive for the PCM to relearn. If they still are above +/- 5 then you definitely need a return. The problem with he dual cone is it uses heated engine air but a larger diameter intake to the MAF. This actually causes the velocity of the air going to the TB to slow down and causes the rich condition.
rock_man (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would check the air ducting between the MAF and the TB for air leaks. I would also try to clean the MAF. Then see what everything is reading and go from there.

Bill
rock_man (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 11:14 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sometimes people tighten the Air Bridge clamps too tight and it collapses the air bridge and that lets in un-metered air.
rock_man (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:28 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Hi folks, thank you very much for your assistance! Allow me to re-state the issue and history so I can document this correctly and help the Corvette collective understand.

1. Car was purchased in October 2014 with the Vararam. No H or C p0172 and p0175 codes present.
2. Last year, the Vararam was removed and replaced with a dual cone-type of intake/filter. No H or C p0172 and p0175 codes present.
3. This past weekend, the dual-cone intake/filters were replaced with the OE Z06 air box and Wix filter. p0172 and p0175 H and C codes present with CEL.
4. Yesterday I performed the re-learn procedure FWIW (Key On Engine Off, removed fuses 16 and 23, Key Off, replace fuses, start car and run engine at idle for 15 minutes, then test drive it for 20+ minutes.) After clearing the PCM comm codes, no other codes showed initially, but the CEL pops again with p0172 and p0175 as C and H.

To do this week: I will triple-check everything, clean the MAF again, re-assemble the intake up to the throttle body and check for air leaks. I'll drive the car, along with some data logging, for a week see how it goes. I'll post photos of the setup when I have the chance.

I used CRC electrical contact cleaner on the MAF sensors. Is there something else I could be using?

Last edited by rock_man; 04-24-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rock_man
Hi folks, thank you very much for your assistance! Allow me to re-state the issue and history so I can document this correctly and help the Corvette collective understand.

1. Car was purchased in October 2014 with the Vararam. No H or C p0172 and p0175 codes present.
2. Last year, the Vararam was removed and replaced with a dual cone-type of intake/filter. No H or C p0172 and p0175 codes present.
3. This past weekend, the dual-cone intake/filters were replaced with the OE Z06 air box and Wix filter. p0172 and p0175 H and C codes present with CEL.
4. Yesterday I performed the re-learn procedure FWIW (Key On Engine Off, removed fuses 16 and 23, Key Off, replace fuses, start car and run engine at idle for 15 minutes, then test drive it for 20+ minutes.) After clearing the PCM comm codes, no other codes showed initially, but the CEL pops again with p0172 and p0175 as C and H.

To do this week: I will triple-check everything, clean the MAF again, re-assemble the intake up to the throttle body and check for air leaks. I'll drive the car, along with some data logging, for a week see how it goes. I'll post photos of the setup when I have the chance.

I used CRC electrical contact cleaner on the MAF sensors. Is there something else I could be using?

I use NON CLORINATED Brake Parts Cleaner BUT,,, some will cringe at me using that. Never had an issue. Use MAF cleaner to be absolutely safe!
rock_man (04-24-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Update!

I removed the MAF, sprayed the elements with CRC MAF cleaner and reinstalled. Cleared codes. Test drove the car yesterday and today. I noticed immediately the car performs more smoother and pulls harder. So far, so good! Today, it threw a MIL with code p0101 H (MAF Performance). The rich codes p0172 and p0175 have not reappeared. I feel a very slight stumbling ever so often at part throttle. I have also noticed the intake behind the throttle body is wet with oil.

I am thinking:
1 - MAF elements are still dirty. I will remove and carefully re-clean elements using a q-tip soaked in MAF cleaner.
2 - Oil from the PCV system is fouling the MAF. I already have an Elite Engineering oil catch can on order to install.
3 - MAF is damaged and needs to be replaced.

I'll perform #1 and #2 before replacing the MAF, but if there is anything else to check that I have missed, please let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited by rock_man; 07-17-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:31 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Update!

It's been a few days since I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the MAF again. I made sure everything was tight - no air leaks. Reset PCM (pull/replace fuses 16 & 23) Cleared codes and drove the car for a few days. Also data logged with HPTuners. No return of any codes at this time. Car runs smooth and strong! I consider this solved.

Get notified of new replies

To New air intake causes codes p0172 and p0175

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New air intake causes codes p0172 and p0175