C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 PM
klw97
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A/C weirdness

Can anyone tell me why my A/C button just blinks and goes off. I did what the OM said to do and nothing. It was an 80 degree day. Thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by klw97
Can anyone tell me why my A/C button just blinks and goes off. I did what the OM said to do and nothing. It was an 80 degree day. Thanks
It means the compressor is not Is not running. There are many things that can cause this to happen. Probably the most common cause is low charge of coolant (r134). If you don't have gauges take it to an AC shop and check the pressures.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigGun:
jjc508520 (04-25-2018), klw97 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 10:49 PM
klw97
Advanced

Default A/C weird

Originally Posted by BigGun
It means the compressor is not Is not running. There are many things that can cause this to happen. Probably the most common cause is low charge of coolant (r134). If you don't have gauges take it to an AC shop and check the pressures.
Thanks for replying. So I'm guessing trying to do the A/C charge at home is not a good idea??
Old 04-28-2018, 12:14 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Thanks for replying. So I'm guessing trying to do the A/C charge at home is not a good idea??
You can sometimes put off a repair by dong this if the system is just a little low. If the compressor is not running at all you are more than just a little low so a shop is the best answer. You need to know what the pressures are to determine the best course of action. It's possible that another problem is preventing the compressor from running. If it is low you have a leak in the system that will need to be repaired.

Last edited by BigGun; 04-28-2018 at 12:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
klw97 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:05 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

You can do a Walmart run, and for $30 you may be operational for a time. If the leak is slow enough, you might be good for the season. That said, some of the places around here (Orlando) will do a system check for around $30 (though I may be ignorant of a corvette tax on that) and might give you both temporary operational capability and knowledge of what else is needed.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-P...z-Can/36158903
klw97 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:48 PM
klw97
Advanced

Default A/c

Originally Posted by redzg
You can do a Walmart run, and for $30 you may be operational for a time. If the leak is slow enough, you might be good for the season. That said, some of the places around here (Orlando) will do a system check for around $30 (though I may be ignorant of a corvette tax on that) and might give you both temporary operational capability and knowledge of what else is needed.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-C-Pro-P...z-Can/36158903
Thanks for the help, I should probably do what's right for the car and visit my local tech at the Chevy dealer. He's friggen awesome with these cars, but it can be damn pricey. Not sure who I would trust around here to touch her as of yet. I've only had it for 3-4 months. People on this site are superb.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:16 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Thanks for the help, I should probably do what's right for the car and visit my local tech at the Chevy dealer. He's friggen awesome with these cars, but it can be damn pricey. Not sure who I would trust around here to touch her as of yet. I've only had it for 3-4 months. People on this site are superb.
Any decent ac shop can check your system. Nothing special about C5 as far as ac system check. The dealer is usually them most expensive place to go and service can be spotty at best. There may be rare exceptions but they are few.
klw97 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 02:59 PM
klw97
Advanced

Default :)

Originally Posted by BigGun
Any decent ac shop can check your system. Nothing special about C5 as far as ac system check. The dealer is usually them most expensive place to go and service can be spotty at best. There may be rare exceptions but they are few.
Thanks again all of you. This tech I'm talking about is well known in this area, I heard about his rating from another dealer. But your'e right it is usually big money. I keep thinking these guys built it they should be able to take care of it, of course for a price. I just haven't found a shop I trust yet.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C weirdness

Quick Reply: A/C weirdness