C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to install a trunion upgrade kit on rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:17 PM
jaoviedo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much to install a trunion upgrade kit on rockers?

Hey guys, how much did you pay to have a trunion upgrade kit installed? Recently did a cam swap and was quoted $375 for the install of the trunion kit. Any Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:49 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Are you looking for the entire job done, or just the trunnion kit installed in the rocker arms, after you pull the rockers from the engine?

(if you were closer to me, a LOT closer, actually, I'd do it, just the trunnion bearing replacement, that is, for $50)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There's a guy on ebay that I bought my btr trunnion kit from works for rpm transmissions and sold a set of rockers with the trunnion installed for 300$shipped with a 50$ core refund for your rockers. Plus you install them, which is a piece of cake if you can access your crank bolt and rotate it.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 AM
jaoviedo
Advanced

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Are you looking for the entire job done, or just the trunnion kit installed in the rocker arms, after you pull the rockers from the engine?

(if you were closer to me, a LOT closer, actually, I'd do it, just the trunnion bearing replacement, that is, for $50)
Well, the shop quoted my for the entire job but they did mentioned that it would be 3 hours of labor time.. which I have a really hard time believing. I quickly told them no. And to answer your question, yes I would be able to remove the rockers if that will save me some money.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:13 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

For what it's worth, it's not that hard to do yourself if you have a press. (a simple arbor press from HF is fine, some even use a bench vise). Not required (I didn't use it) but Comp makes a tool to help keep everything lined up, might be helpful.

Here's a video I made while installing mine.
The following users liked this post:
ericdwong (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 12:24 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
For what it's worth, it's not that hard to do yourself if you have a press. (a simple arbor press from HF is fine, some even use a bench vise). Not required (I didn't use it) but Comp makes a tool to help keep everything lined up, might be helpful.
I've disassembled my rockers twice. The first time was to install the Comp Cams bearing upgrade kit, and the second time, was to install the Straub bushings.

I was lucky, a number of years ago, to score an Arbor press, when my employer was having a "garage sale". Having that, makes the job so much easier, as it allows you to hold the rocker arm such that you just press the bushing vertically, which makes it a whole lot easier.

Summit Racing sells a tool of some sort, that makes it easier to use a bench vise.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:23 PM
jaoviedo
Advanced

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I've disassembled my rockers twice. The first time was to install the Comp Cams bearing upgrade kit, and the second time, was to install the Straub bushings.

I was lucky, a number of years ago, to score an Arbor press, when my employer was having a "garage sale". Having that, makes the job so much easier, as it allows you to hold the rocker arm such that you just press the bushing vertically, which makes it a whole lot easier.

Summit Racing sells a tool of some sort, that makes it easier to use a bench vise.
Thanks for your help!!! Looks like I will be doing the job myself this weekend. Do you know what tommypenguin was talking about? When he mentioned having to access the crank bolt??
Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

When installing the rockers bolts, depending on the position of the camshaft, some valves would be opening. Thus as you tighten the rocker bolt, you are compressing the valve spring, and that puts a lot of stress on the rocker bolt threads in the cylinder head. So it is recommended to rotate the motor so that the camshaft is on the base circle for the rocker you are installing. (when the cam is on the base circle, the valve is closed, and thus you aren't compressing the valve spring).

This video may help.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jaoviedo
Thanks for your help!!! Looks like I will be doing the job myself this weekend. Do you know what tommypenguin was talking about? When he mentioned having to access the crank bolt??
When I did the swap the first time, I pulled the spark plugs, so I wasn't fighting compression in the cylinders, and still had the OE damper in place. Understanding that I didn't want to fight the tension of valve springs, when tightening the pivot bolt, I rotated the engine so both valves on each cylinder were in the closed position, when I worked on that pair of rockers. IIRC, the OE crank bolt is a 24MM hex.

Shortly after I did this work, I swapped out the OE damper for an ATI piece. And then after that, when discussions on this website began to discuss the failure of the Comp Cams bearings, I decided to install the Straub bushings. However, with the ATI damper in place, retained by an ARP bolt, I couldn't get a wrench in there, to rotate the engine.

Therefore, I "bubba-ed it", and reluctantly loosen/tightened the rocker pivot bolts, no matter what position the valves were in. That was 3-4 years ago, and so far, so good......
Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if you have stock cam and springs you really don't have to worry about rotating the motor, a little blue loctite on the rocker bolts is also something to consider

Get notified of new replies

To How much to install a trunion upgrade kit on rockers?

Quick Reply: How much to install a trunion upgrade kit on rockers?