C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only need to bleed ABS, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Only need to bleed ABS, what to do

The ECBM of my ABS failed on a track day. I had it repaired by ABSFixer. When I went to reinstall it, I believed the factory service manual on the necessary torque sequence. It turned out to be too high for the newer version ABS that I have. One of the T20 screws broke on the second torque pass, leaving most of the screw in the ABS valve body.

I've been trying to extract the screw with the valve body still in the car. So far, no success.

Several have said to remove the valve body from the car and extract it or drill it/Easy-out it. If it comes to that, I'll have to disconnect the brake lines. When I do that, the ABS will need to be bled on reassembly.

From what I understand, it will require a GM Scanner or equivalent to force the automatic ABS bleed sequence.

According to the same flawed service manual, I should bleed the main brake system before I do the automatic ABS bleed sequence. That seems strange, because if there is air left in the ABS that has to be bled out, where will it go? It would seem like the air would go into the brake lines. If that is true, shouldn't I do the ABS bleed before the main system bleed? What am I missing?

Also, someone in another post said he had replaced his full ABS valve, and he used 8 gallons of brake fluid!? I've done a full pressure bleed of my brakes with less than 2 quarts of brake fluid. Where could 8 gallons have gone?

Last edited by tquinn; 05-17-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by tquinn
T
Also, someone in another post said he had replaced his full ABS valve, and he used 8 gallons of brake fluid!? I've done a full pressure bleed of my brakes with less than 2 quarts of brake fluid. Where could 8 gallons have gone?
8 gallons??? thats funny

maybe they meant 8 pints...still alot

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-17-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:35 PM
Jurgen1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres alot of screws holding that on tho if you leave that alone you should be ok .
Old 05-17-2018, 09:56 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jurgen1
theres alot of screws holding that on tho if you leave that alone you should be ok .
I've thought about that. It would be nice not to open up the brake lines. The guy who fixed the module says he tests them on his test stand without any screws. There are 6 screws in it, and the one that broke was in the middle front position (relative to the car).

On the other hand, I do track the car, and the ABS gets worked a lot on hard, high speed braking. So I'd sure like to get all 6 screws back in, preferably without breaking open the brake lines.

The screws are about 3.9 mm in diameter (M4), and there is a projection of the broken screw above the surface of the valve block of about 2.5 mm. It isn't much to get a bite on.

There is some resistance to turning of all the screws . . . it seems like they might have been installed with a patch lock compound.

So far, I've not been able to get a good enough grip with a needle nose pliers working from the side of the screw to turn the broken screw out.

My next step is to try a small vice grip, and approach the broken screw along its axis. I plan to grind two v notches in the end of the jaws, so that it makes 4 points of contact on the projected screw.

I also plan to heat the valve body with a hot air gun to about 160 F (similar to under hood temperature after a shutdown), and spray the vice grips with SuperCold 134 to create some differential expansion of both parts and make the screw grip a little looser. And I've already built a dam around the screw and filled it with penetrating lubricant meant for loosening stuck bolts, to try and get some of that into the threads.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to get this little turd out, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:08 PM
Jurgen1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've thought about that. It would be nice not to open up the brake lines. The guy who fixed the module says he tests them on his test stand without any screws. There are 6 screws in it, and the one that broke was in the middle front position (relative to the car).

On the other hand, I do track the car, and the ABS gets worked a lot on hard, high speed braking. So I'd sure like to get all 6 screws back in, preferably without breaking open the brake lines.

The screws are about 3.9 mm in diameter (M4), and there is a projection of the broken screw above the surface of the valve block of about 2.5 mm. It isn't much to get a bite on.

There is some resistance to turning of all the screws . . . it seems like they might have been installed with a patch lock compound.

So far, I've not been able to get a good enough grip with a needle nose pliers working from the side of the screw to turn the broken screw out.

My next step is to try a small vice grip, and approach the broken screw along its axis. I plan to grind two v notches in the end of the jaws, so that it makes 4 points of contact on the projected screw.

I also plan to heat the valve body with a hot air gun to about 160 F (similar to under hood temperature after a shutdown), and spray the vice grips with SuperCold 134 to create some differential expansion of both parts and make the screw grip a little looser. And I've already built a dam around the screw and filled it with penetrating lubricant meant for loosening stuck bolts, to try and get some of that into the threads.

If anyone has any other ideas on how to get this little turd out, I'd appreciate hearing them.
I have had many of them off and on i know what ur talking about if it was my car i wouldt worry about it . Ur not gone leak any fluid but its ur car do as you please nothing anyone can say is gone take the screw out . If you were in Michigan id help or help you with my scanner to bleed the system .
good luck .
The following users liked this post:
tquinn (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 AM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jurgen1
I have had many of them off and on i know what ur talking about if it was my car i wouldt worry about it . Ur not gone leak any fluid but its ur car do as you please nothing anyone can say is gone take the screw out . If you were in Michigan id help or help you with my scanner to bleed the system .
good luck .
I've still got a couple of ideas to take the screw out with the valve still in the car that might work. If they succeed, then all is well.

If they fail to extract the screw, then I'll need to decide what to do next. Maybe I'll just put in the 5 good screws that are left.

That might be better than opening up the liquid side of the system. Bryan, the guy at ABSFixer, recommended just putting 5 screws back in.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Use Vice Grip brand locking pliers that aren't worn so they still have a good square jaw. Get the front face of the jaws up against the body and lock down on the screw stub as hard as you can. Lock and release it a few times tightening the adjustment each time. It always works better for me with the Vice Grips parallel to the screw, not perpendicular.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

if you can get a dremel wheel on it cut a grove for a screw driver. i haven't looked at the placement to see if this is possible or not.

I seem to recall seeing drill bits which are reversed so they cut while turning counter-clockwise. Might work.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:40 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Use Vice Grip brand locking pliers that aren't worn so they still have a good square jaw. Get the front face of the jaws up against the body and lock down on the screw stub as hard as you can. Lock and release it a few times tightening the adjustment each time. It always works better for me with the Vice Grips parallel to the screw, not perpendicular.
That is my plan, with a small vice grip. It was also suggested that I grind a V-cut in both jaws of the Vice Grip, a little smaller than the screw, to grab the screw from both sides. Have you had any experience with that?

Keep in mind, the screw (before being necked down from where it failed) is only 3.9 mm in diameter at the thread OD, and 3.3 mm diameter at the roots of the thread. So this puppy is damn small.

And there is only one turn of thread that is full size, the one closest to the aluminum block.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:42 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fuggles
if you can get a dremel wheel on it cut a grove for a screw driver. i haven't looked at the placement to see if this is possible or not.

I seem to recall seeing drill bits which are reversed so they cut while turning counter-clockwise. Might work.

I don't think there is enough room for a Dremel the exposed screw is surrounded by the support bracket for the valve, the valve rods, and a step in the aluminum valve block.

the idea of a backwards drill is good, but I'll only be able to do that if I take the valve block out of the car. I still hope to avoid that.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

My EBCM has been doing fine for many years with one broken screw.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
My EBCM has been doing fine for many years with one broken screw.
Now THAT is useful information. Do you remember which on of yours is broken? Mine is in the center location of the three screws closest to the front of the car.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:10 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Enough room to fit this over the stud (and/or enough stud exposed)?

Amazon Amazon

I've had one of these for years and it's gotten me out of similar situations many times.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:25 PM
dproto09
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I took my EBCM off, two of my center screw head broke off. I removed all the brake line and took the abs pump off. They had to drill it and retap it. Then I used grey silicon around the gasket with new screws. I bleed the brake with a pressure bleeder motive brand. All is fine. I never used a tech tool, the abs works and stop great.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:54 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dproto09
when I took my EBCM off, two of my center screw head broke off. I removed all the brake line and took the abs pump off. They had to drill it and retap it. Then I used grey silicon around the gasket with new screws. I bleed the brake with a pressure bleeder motive brand. All is fine. I never used a tech tool, the abs works and stop great.

That is interesting. I already have a Motive brand pressure bleeder. So you just hooked the lines back up and then pressure bled the system, and the ABS is working okay? Have you tried doing a very aggressive high speed stop, one where you knew the ABS was working to stabilize the car?

Your experience gives me confidence to at least try doing that.

Thanks,
Old 05-21-2018, 11:57 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Enough room to fit this over the stud (and/or enough stud exposed)?

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64...stud+extractor

I've had one of these for years and it's gotten me out of similar situations many times.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the screw I'm trying to extract is an M4. The tool only goes down to 1/4 inch. The M4 is only about only about 60% of the diameter of a 1/4 inch tool.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:45 AM
dproto09
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the screw I'm trying to extract is an M4. The tool only goes down to 1/4 inch. The M4 is only about only about 60% of the diameter of a 1/4 inch tool.
Don't waste your time, i was in your shoes. both center head broke off when i was trying to do the abs fix. People told me to leave it and just put the four bolts in. I'm very **** about stuff like that. I try my best to us vise grips in the car, nothing, then took the pump out still nothing. Then i try to drill it with left hand bits. The bits walked off.

short story
take it to a machine shop, they need to put it in a vise and use a machine drill press to drill and re tap the screws. They charged me $40 for two holes. i ended up going to a local aces hardware and buying all new six allen stainless steel metric bolts. I also use gray silicon around the old gasket to make sure that it was water tight. I haven't had any issues. I hit the brakes in the rain and the you can feel the abs motor pump working and the display says abs activated. Haven't had an issues so far with the brake, just an harmonic balancer.

If you don't want to go through all that trouble, I would buy new screws, anti-sieze, buy silicon to put around the gasket and tighten to spec. up to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Only need to bleed ABS, what to do

Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Since it's sticking up above the surface, what about using a dremel to cut a slot in the screw and back it out with a screw driver?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM
tquinn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dproto09
Don't waste your time, i was in your shoes. both center head broke off when i was trying to do the abs fix. People told me to leave it and just put the four bolts in. I'm very **** about stuff like that. I try my best to us vise grips in the car, nothing, then took the pump out still nothing. Then i try to drill it with left hand bits. The bits walked off.

short story
take it to a machine shop, they need to put it in a vise and use a machine drill press to drill and re tap the screws. They charged me $40 for two holes. i ended up going to a local aces hardware and buying all new six allen stainless steel metric bolts. I also use gray silicon around the old gasket to make sure that it was water tight. I haven't had any issues. I hit the brakes in the rain and the you can feel the abs motor pump working and the display says abs activated. Haven't had an issues so far with the brake, just an harmonic balancer.

If you don't want to go through all that trouble, I would buy new screws, anti-sieze, buy silicon to put around the gasket and tighten to spec. up to you.
Thanks, that's good advice. What you ended up doing is about where I thought I might need to go.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:01 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Interesting thread. Because the car is a tracked Z06, I'd take it apart and take it to a machine shop to avoid breaking off a drill or easyout and making a real mess. When I needed to bleed my ABS, there was nobody to trust, so I used some wet grass. It's been fine ever since, and it gets tracked.

Quick Reply: Only need to bleed ABS, what to do