C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlins (parking lights)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Evilbeard
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlins (parking lights)

Hi, I recently bought myself a 2002 Convertible for my 40th birthday. I decided it was time I bought something for me.

The car I purchased is in very good condition, but when I picked it up, I neglected to think about the taillights/marker lights as it was noon. I tested the headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and hazards, but I wasn't thinking about the others. The first time I drove it at night, I noticed my gauges were dark. I tried adjusting the dimmer, and nothing changed. When I pulled into the garage and turned the lights off, the gauges brightened up. I thought it was very odd.

On the way home, I passed by my parents' place. My father told me the next day that my marker lights were out. I went and did some inspection, and I have no taillights, marker lights, and license plate light. I did some research, and that led me to the dreaded multifunction switch. Today, I tore apart the dash and steering column. I disassembled the switch, and everything looked fine. I plugged it back in. I have 12V going in on the orange wire, as the wiring diagram I found online shows. If I move the switch to parking or headlights on, the brown wire goes hot. This is what I see in the diagram. I still have no parking lights.

I removed one of the taillights to do some testing, and in doing so, I dropped the bulb. I ran to the local auto parts store to grab another. When I came back to do some testing, I noticed that when I turned the switch to parking lights, the headlights pop up and my headlights are on. Did I put the switch back together improperly? That could be the fix for the headlights going up/down, but I don't think it's the other exterior lighting. The way the diagram shows it, the brown wire comes out of the multifunction switch and goes to the underhood fuse panel. There, it goes to a plug, where it is distributed to all the exterior lighting. I have 12V in and out at the switch, is it a problem in the lighting down the stream, or could it still be in the switch?

I wasn't familiar with the notation on the header where the brown wires are distributed from the under hood fuse panel, so I haven't been able to track that down yet and test for voltage. I was also a little fuzzy on why the relay looks like it loops through the headlight switch? To me, it looks like once the relay actuates (from the body control module activating the coil), the contacts close, creating a loop between orange and brown. I mean, it works, but they're essentially bypassing the headlight switch.

For reference, here is the diagram I was looking at:

https://i.imgur.com/pNwT76y.png

edit: I just found that if I unlock the car with the remote, the lights all work. The Approach Lighting illuminates everything correctly. As soon as you turn on the key, they go off again, even with the lights on.

Last edited by Evilbeard; 05-20-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: new information
Old 05-21-2018, 04:25 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ha! I'm in Terre Haute too. If you need a switch to test out if that is the problem, I've got an extra. Let me know.
The following users liked this post:
Evilbeard (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:46 PM
Evilbeard
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cadwiz_01Z
Ha! I'm in Terre Haute too. If you need a switch to test out if that is the problem, I've got an extra. Let me know.
Thanks, I was thinking to myself a little bit about the wiring schematic, and then it hit me: TWILIGHT MODE!! The Body Control Module operates Twilight, just like Approach Lights. When active, they turn on the Relay, which bypasses the Headlights on the Multifunction Switch. That's why there's the loop that I was wondering about. So, I came home tonight and turned on Twilight, and voila, taillights and marker lights. It is definitely the Multifunction Switch. I ordered one from RockAuto and it should arrive tomorrow.

Now if I hadn't ruined the paint removing the PO's Satellite Radio Antenna. Luckily I have a friend who is going to respray it for me this weekend.

Last edited by Evilbeard; 05-21-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 AM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad you got it figured out. Good luck with the re-spray, hope it turns out well.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Gremlins (parking lights)

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins (parking lights)