C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Column Lock" after reconnecting battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Service Column Lock" after reconnecting battery

Hey folks, got a 04 C5z here. I have a serious leak (I have yet to find) that caused almost standing water on the floorboards. None of which was high enough to touch the BCM. While I was drying it out, there was a loud buzzing sound that came from the BCM and everything in the car then died. Come to find out the battery was dead, I guess something shorted and drained the battery? Anyway, I charged the battery then put it back in, go to start it and I'm getting the "Service Column Lock" message with the wheel now locked. My question is this, I have little time in the day to work on my car (also an apartment parking lot).. I'm wondering how much I might expect to have this fixed. I checked the fuses and did the pull and wait thing, its doing the same thing. I read that there was a recall for this issue but I called Chevrolet and I guess it doesn't cover my 04 C5z. So I'm left with dropping more money on this (2k in "known issue" type repairs in the past couple months) and am wondering if anyone here has taken theirs in and what they were charged?

Last edited by Ghostwheel; 05-21-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Very common problem and the same thing happened to me on a previous z when the battery died. Get a LMC5 by Compliance Parts and be done with it. They are $30 - $40 or so and are easy to install. Usually takes about an hour if slow, reading all instructions and it is your first install. This will permanently fix the issue. Do not even bother with the GM recall. You might want to talk with Compliance Parts about the locked steering wheel before purchase. They have another part to unlock the wheel. Not sure you need it or not. Their customer service is the best I have ever experienced.

Last edited by Andrew; 05-22-2018 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ghostwheel (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

LMC5 as noted, likely with unlocker. Done deal.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Look here to fix your leak:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...our-vette.html

Most likely you have clogged HVAC drain udder on the passenger side.

The dealer is wrong as the recall applied to all C5s. But don't bother with them as they never fixed the problem anyway! DO NOT take it to anyone as they will not know how to fix this. Get the LMC5 and install it yourself AND do the "optional" brown wire mod.
Ghostwheel (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by v6turbo87

The dealer is wrong as the recall applied to all C5s. But don't bother with them as they never fixed the problem anyway! DO NOT take it to anyone as they will not know how to fix this. Get the LMC5 and install it yourself AND do the "optional" brown wire mod.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
LMC5 as noted, likely with unlocker. Done deal.
Also, go ahead and do the "optional" brown wire modification as you have an 04. It is really good PM.

I put an LCM5 in my car last week and needed to circle back and do the brown wire mod after a "pull key" message. It took me 15 minutes.

Installation is pretty straight forward.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Andrew
Very common problem and the same thing happened to me on a previous z when the battery died. Get a LMC5 by Compliance Parts and be done with it. They are $30 - $40 or so and are easy to install. Usually takes about an hour if slow, reading all instructions and it is your first install. This will permanently fix the issue. Do not even bother with the GM recall. You might want to talk with Compliance Parts about the locked steering wheel before purchase. They have another part to unlock the wheel. Not sure you need it or not. Their customer service is the best I have ever experienced.
I have to cut into my vettes wiring harness for this I guess right?

Originally Posted by v6turbo87

It's leaking from both the driver and passenger side. Passenger side bottom right hand corner of glovebox and driver side from the pillar. I also read that window wiper seals cause this?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Andrew
Drifting

No cutting into the wiring harness. You will unplug from the BCM, pull 4 or 5 wires and place the wires from the LMC5 into the same pins. I am not good at auto wiring at all and was able to do it without problem. It is an easy job! If you do the brown wire mod (in the directions), you will cut one wire on the LMC5 module. The kit even comes with a hex tool that allows you to remove wires from the pins without damaging anything. Did I mention that this is easy to do?

Last edited by Andrew; 05-22-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Ghostwheel (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 02:59 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

[QUOTE=8VETTE7;1597252103]That statement is not completely accurate.

It does NOT apply to ANY automatic C5 for model years 2001 - 2004.

That is not correct either......from the Compliance parts web site:

1997-2004 with a manual transmission
1997-2000 with an automatic transmission
*2001-2004 European export Corvettes with an automatic transmission*

Last edited by v6turbo87; 05-22-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

FYI folks I got the kit and unlocker, took a couple hours... most of which struggling to just unplug those connectors. But it's a done deal. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ghostwheel
FYI folks I got the kit and unlocker, took a couple hours... most of which struggling to just unplug those connectors. But it's a done deal. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yep, hardest part is disconnecting the connection above the BCM. Other than that, just making sure the right pins are pulled / replaced. I bet if you had to do it again, it would take less than half an hour. Congrats on permanently fixing the problem!
Ghostwheel (06-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To "Service Column Lock" after reconnecting battery

Quick Reply: "Service Column Lock" after reconnecting battery