C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today is the day I make a decision on headers need everybody’s help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:20 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Today is the day I make a decision on headers need everybody’s help!

Ok, Top Speed owes me 200 in labor they owe me from sending me the wrong Ti axle back that did not fit, so I’m already in the process on waiting for an e-mail from them on a header and x pipe package with a discount from the labor they owe me. 600 is my ceiling on headers and hoping to get deleted cat x pipe included. If not I guess I’ll havs to just put out the extra money to get this exhaust completed.

Things to consider :
The car is getting lowered this week so proper clearance and fitment is essential. I realize this is not the bolt in to have champagne taste with a beer pocket book so I’m gonna strongly consider the necessary options. Used preferably because new in my price range means a roll of the dice in fitment.
Lets get it done guys! I’m only giving “Top Speed” another shot because their giving me the professional curtesy of accomadating me for their mistake. Thanks guys

Last edited by C5 for life; 05-22-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:13 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 964 Likes on 780 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

What are your goals N/A or F/I? I went with the Hinson 1 7/8 headers for my car they were around 700.00 IIRC
Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Wonder if Top Speed ever visits CF...
At your price point keep your eyes open for a good deal on used or buy XS Power, Texas Speed...
Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Originally Posted by Smoken1
What are your goals N/A or F/I? I went with the Hinson 1 7/8 headers for my car they were around 700.00 IIRC
Strickly the street. Daily driver that demands respect. aggressive street sound
Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 964 Likes on 780 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by C5 for life

Strickly the street. Daily driver that demands respect. aggressive street sound
Then look for 1 3/4 headers and Never go with XS Power

Last edited by Smoken1; 05-22-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Default Top Speed’s response for selling me a product that didn’t fit.

This is the e-mail from the manager stepping in for Josh today says, “this product retails for $800 I can send it to your door for $650” Strongly thinking about going for it. It says it’s outvof stock but she’s saying I can have it today.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Only problem is these and the other headers they offer for the C5 are 17/8. I don’t need more than 13/4. Will that 1/8 really make a difference ?
Old 05-23-2018, 01:19 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Only problem is these and the other headers they offer for the C5 are 17/8. I don’t need more than 13/4. Will that 1/8 really make a difference ?

It'll be fine, leaves some room for growth, even in an N/A build. Might lose a bit down low but it's negligible.

Check out Speed Engineering headers, just installed some on my Z last week. Fitment was great, if you exclude the JOKE clamps they give you. Spend some money on clamps and you're golden imo.

My car came with a Corsa X-pipe and Extreme mufflers so I wasn't able to use the provided x-pipe. Mainly because the stock H-pipe is the only piece that has hangars on the whole piece. I believe you can order without an X-pipe if you call them. If you have a stock catback, you'll be fine. No steering shaft interference, no spark plug boots melting, no bellhousing/body interference. They really fit nicely. Removed the alternator, coil packs and spark plugs on the drivers side. Passenger side required removing starter wires, and that was it. Pretty easy install, it's all the tucking of the wires and O2 sensors that stressed me the most. That and wondering how you make a clamp that just doesn't work.

Anyways, I mated my Corsa X-pipe to the collectors by hacking off some pipe that came off of the stock catalytic converter piece. About 10 inches on either side, clamped it to the Corsa and that was that. The quality of the metal is debatable, but if you're getting inexpensive headers, I'd recommend a quality coating. Too many of these guys spend $1K+ on quality metal pipes, just to spend even more on a coating that negates the purpose of buying quality metal headers. Coatings give you heat retention AND corrosion resistance. And it looks nice.

So put me in the "cheap header" crowd, I know it's not a popular opinion but the product Speed Engineering is selling is not 1/3 as good as Kooks, ARH, LG. It's a solid 9/10 of what the big brands are selling, at 1/3 of the price.

Honorable mention to TSP headers, sure they're decent as well, at a slightly higher but still reasonable price.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:41 PM
C5 for life
Pro

Sorry about the double posting. Thus thread can be deleted and I’ll co to us with the three in the general discussion section.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

This is the e-mail from the manager stepping in for Josh today says, “this product retails for $800 I can send it to your door for $650” Strongly thinking about going for it. It says it’s outvof stock but she’s saying I can have it today.
Hes knocking that much off because they are the same re branded chinese headers everyone else sells.

I would wait around for some used kooks Stainless Works or American Racing. I have American racing and the fit is fantastic as well as the finish.

I wouldn't cheap out on headers. Cheap headers can be a hassle.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 AM
Frank O'Brien
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait till the $$$ come in for a quality set used!

Get notified of new replies

To Today is the day I make a decision on headers need everybody’s help!

Quick Reply: Today is the day I make a decision on headers need everybody’s help!