C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't start after repair (cranks, no fuel), any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:23 PM
ZilvisZ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't start after repair (cranks, no fuel), any ideas?

I'm the new owner of 2003 Z06 and long story short after body repair (whole drivetrain in one piece incl. the engine was dropped completely), after assembly I can't start the car. Car cranks, but there is no fuel in the fuel rail. I don't hear the fuel pump priming when ignition on (I'm not sure I should, as I never drove this car before).
I have checked already:
- all the main connectors near the battery and the passenger side fender/ecu;
- all the fuses (fuel pump fuse was replaced just to make sure it's ok);
- I have swapped fuel pump relay with the same one;
- as I had fuel light on before disassembling (car was starting), just in case I added ~8 gallons.

Interesting thing, that fuel gauge still stays on "E" on ignition on, is it normal with such amount of fuel? Or fuel level meter are quite slow and the needle will go up after some time (not sure how it works on vette).
Still no luck.
Would be great if you could share what I should check next? I don't want to repeat that procedure again by dropping whole drivetrain or removing fuel tanks if it's not necessary.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ZilvisZ; 05-22-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I have seen the ground wire not attached at the block above the starter, there are two !!!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

same on drivers side ???
Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

check the ground on the frame in the driver side rear wheel well
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 PM
curtbriggs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZilvisZ
I'm the new owner of 2003 Z06 and long story short after body repair (whole drivetrain in one piece incl. the engine was dropped completely), after assembly I can't start the car. Car cranks, but there is no fuel in the fuel rail. I don't hear the fuel pump priming when ignition on (I'm not sure I should, as I never drove this car before).
I have checked already:
- all the main connectors near the battery and the passenger side fender/ecu;
- all the fuses (fuel pump fuse was replaced just to make sure it's ok);
- I have swapped fuel pump relay with the same one;
- as I had fuel light on before disassembling (car was starting), just in case I added ~8 gallons.

Interesting thing, that fuel gauge still stays on "E" on ignition on, is it normal with such amount of fuel? Or fuel level meter are quite slow and the needle will go up after some time (not sure how it works on vette).
Still no luck.
Would be great if you could share what I should check next? I don't want to repeat that procedure again by dropping whole drivetrain or removing fuel tanks if it's not necessary.
Thanks in advance.
I had the same no start problem maybe 15 years ago when I switched over to a Z06 intake manifold on my 99 C5 Coupe, this is the way my 80 year old mind remembers it. A ground wire was not attached somewhere behind the intake manifold. Crank but no start.
Hope this helps, Curt

Bill triggered my memory, it was when I installed AFR heads, that was the ground wire he talked about below.
Thanks Bill, Curt

Last edited by curtbriggs; 07-23-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: ​​​​​​​Thanks Bill, Curt
Old 07-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are SEVERAL critical ground wires on a C5 that MUST be connected for the car/engine to work. G-104/108 passengers side frame rail next to the battery, G-106, Above the starter solenoid, G-105 opposite side of engine in the same location as G-106 and G-107. Back side of the drivers side head. (Two black wires with a white stripe) Its one 15mm headed bolt that screws into the head. They are the coil grounds.

G-106 is the same ground point for the battery NEG cable BUT,, there is an additional small ground wire that is the ground for the PCM and several other things. Its one of those critical grounds.....

Get notified of new replies

To Can't start after repair (cranks, no fuel), any ideas?

Quick Reply: Can't start after repair (cranks, no fuel), any ideas?