C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil level (oil level fine) warning and running hot, coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil level (oil level fine) warning and running hot, coincidence?

I have a 2004 c5 z06 and 2 weeks ago noticed the engine temperature levels were a bit high. 220 is the norm, and I was running about 230-235. This subsided by the end of the day. Around that same time the low oil level warning came on. I checked the oil and it was fine(Maybe half a quart from perfect). The warning went away by the next day and the temperature went back to normal. About 2-3 days ago I noticed the engine temps would keep going about 10 over and get quickly curbed back to 220. Something I never seen before. Fast forward to today and the low oil level warning has returned (oil level still fine) with my engine temps now at 240-245. 255+ is red zone. Thoughts?

Last edited by Ghostwheel; 06-22-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostwheel
I have a 2004 c5 z06 and 2 weeks ago noticed the engine temperature levels were a bit high. 220 is the norm, and I was running about 230-235. This subsided by the end of the day. Around that same time the low oil level warning came on. I checked the oil and it was fine(Maybe half a quart from perfect). The warning went away by the next day and the temperature went back to normal. About 2-3 days ago I noticed the engine temps would keep going about 10 over and get quickly curbed back to 220. Something I never seen before. Fast forward to today and the low oil level warning has returned (oil level still fine) with my engine temps now at 240-245. 255+ is red zone. Thoughts?
Have you removed the upper radiator support and intake so that you can check the radiator for debris blocking the flow of air? Check the front of the AC condenser as well. This is a common issue. The C5 is like a giant vacuum cleaner. Sometimes all sorts of junk can be sucked up and cause air blockages. Start there first, but make sure you have the proper amount of oil in the crankcase as well.

Last edited by Ceedub53; 06-22-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:34 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All looked good. Got a coolant flush which seems to have resolved the issue. In fact, it's now running at 215 average vs 220. They said they didn't see anything in the coolant. Strange.

Get notified of new replies

To Low oil level (oil level fine) warning and running hot, coincidence?

Quick Reply: Low oil level (oil level fine) warning and running hot, coincidence?