C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Z06 Replaced Clock Spring now have codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 02:01 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2001 Z06 Replaced Clock Spring now have codes

The car as 32,000 miles on it. The drivers side air bag light came on a few weeks ago and I found a used replacement Clock spring and installed it. Air bag light out no codes. Since it was used and I did not know if the CS was centered I turned it back and forth to get the number of turns and then centered it before installing. Success no air bag and no codes. Today I was going to drive the Vette and made it about 1/4 mile from home. Check Engine light, Reduced Power, Codes 10 PCM 1221 H and 28 TCS C1278 H. Mechanic Friend with Tech II is coming over
tomorrow to do a full scan. I suspect the replacement Clock Spring but am confused by the fact that both codes show H for history and nothing for C or current.. Don't want to clear codes until we get the Tech II on the car but am looking for suggestions. The car gave me service traction control system service active handling but nothing shows current. Looking for suggestions.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:55 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Clock spring would have nothing to do with those 2 DTC's...the 1221 is a TPS 1-2 correlation DTC...with the Tech 2 "key on engine off" look at the TPS 1-2 Agree/Disagree Data Pid...should say agree...if it says disagree you will have to check the TPS sensor 1 wiring for a 5 volt reference with the connector unplugged...don't worry about the other DTC..it is only for info...you can also look at the TPS 1 and 2 voltages key on engine off with your foot off the gas and then go to WOT...TPS 1 should go from around 1 volt to above 3.5 and TPS 2 should go from 3.8 to below 1 volt at WOT...I would erase both history codes !!

TPS 1 idle

TPS 1 WOT

TPS 2 idle

TPS 2 WOT

Last edited by C5 Diag; 11-13-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:16 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Thank you for the reply. I was not looking forward to replacing the clock spring again. The TCS and active handling codes are possibly due to an HPD event where it rained a bit an I got sideways a few times. Also forgot to put car in competitive mode one session.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:29 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by BTTBSS
Thank you for the reply. I was not looking forward to replacing the clock spring again. The TCS and active handling codes are possibly due to an HPD event where it rained a bit an I got sideways a few times. Also forgot to put car in competitive mode one session.
That would have been a vital piece of info to know !!...just erase those DTC’s !!
Old 11-14-2021, 05:55 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Default Update Resolution

We scanned with a Tech II and found that we did not reset the steering sensors after installing the clock spring. Cleared the history codes and reset the TPS and Steering angle sensors. Test drove and it looks like
all is well. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:35 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Hey, BTTBSS! Glad you got your situation resolved! Quick Question- My airbag light is on, and I want to replace my clock spring. How hard was it for you to get your steering wheel off? Did you need a special puller to do it?
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 10:02 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Default Clock Spring

You will need a steering wheel puller. we used some freeze off, WD-40 and PB blaster. The wheel is aluminum and soft so you can't put too much pressure on it. You also need several small allen wrenches and torx bits to get the panel under the dash off. New Clock Springs are unicorns so unless you find one somebody stashed you will have to find a used unit. If the seller did not put a zip tie through the holes to keep it centered you will need to carefully turn the inside lid as far as it will go to the right and left to get the number of turns. It has to be centered in order to work correctly. I had the help of a friend who has done a few and it took us about 2.5 hours trying to be careful and not breaking anything.
The following users liked this post:
helphos (11-15-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Z06 Replaced Clock Spring now have codes

Quick Reply: 2001 Z06 Replaced Clock Spring now have codes