C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serv Tire Monitoring System 2004 coupe

Old 06-14-2018, 12:10 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Serv Tire Monitoring System 2004 coupe

Second owner of this vehicle. Suspect the batteries are finally beginning to fail. The sensors are those with a metal valve stem. Right front fails to reset with the magnet approach. So, I need to replace it. Likely should do all four of them.

Tire shops says they can replace with sensors that are rubber valve stem. Since the ones on the car (I assume) are OE, is there a specific reason they have a metal valve stem? Can I use the replacement product the tire shop has (rubber stems)? If anyone has sourced these OE (metal) devices on Amazon or similar do you have a product number for what you acquired?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.

I do agree with 8VETTE7 that going with OEM sensors can avid many sync problems that the aftermarket sensors have.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There are plenty of horror stories on this Forum about members that bought after market TPMS to save a few $$ and then could not get them to train to the C5. There is a specific procedure to train TPMS to the C5. It requires a magnet if you use the OEM sensors. See below.

After market TPMS each have their own procedure to get them to transmit on command. Some use proprietary tools, some require letting air out of each tire, some require waving a dead cat over you head 13 times on the 2nd full moon of the month at exactly midnight, well you get the idea.

If it were me I would stick to the Schraeder or Delco brand OEM sensors and avoid the problems you will run into getting the aftermarket sensors trained up to the C5:

JMHO

These should last 6-10 years and when you factor the added cost over that period of time it really is pretty minimal.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:23 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by rx4arx

Tire shops says they can replace with sensors that are rubber valve stem. Since the ones on the car (I assume) are OE, is there a specific reason they have a metal valve stem? Can I use the replacement product the tire shop has (rubber stems)? If anyone has sourced these OE (metal) devices on Amazon or similar do you have a product number for what you acquired?

Thanks
Never hear of TPMS that have rubber stems. Everyone I have seen is made of Aluminum. If they are telling you they can replace them with rubber stems then essentially they are doing away with the TPMS and putting run of the mill valve stems in.
And as stated by 8VETTE7 and Vetteman Jack, save yourself grief and headaches and purchase either Schrader Sensors... Schrader is the supplier to GM

Last edited by SG Lou; 06-14-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Thanks 8VettE7. Yes I used that procedure in an attempt to reprogram. It would not pass the Left Front sensor. So, I assume, that's the failed sensor.

I see some Schrader sensors on Amazon and the description and comments state they work for an '04 Vette. So, I guess I'll buy 4 of them and then find an independent tire installer to put them in.

Amazon Amazon

Thanks for the assist you guys...
Old 07-03-2018, 04:20 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Default New Sensors working fine

Ordered 4 new Schrader sensors. By time they arrived, all four of the old ones had failed. Had local Canada Tire install the new ones. They were a bit confused because their copy tool was not connecting (all four sensors were dead). Showed them the C5 method for training via the DIC and onboard system and they were successful with the install.
Here's shot of the new sensor and the old sensor. The old ones were Schraders too.

Get notified of new replies

To Serv Tire Monitoring System 2004 coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serv Tire Monitoring System 2004 coupe