C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trick to repair broken plastic HVAC hose behind intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Trick to repair broken plastic HVAC hose behind intake

I hope this never happens to any of you, but if it does, maybe this will help. Last time I removed my intake manifold, I broke the black nylon tube that attaches to the back of the intake manifold to supply vacuum for the HVAC system. It had just gotten brittle over the years and snapped about 1.5" from the end. I measured the OD of the tube and it appears to be the same as 5/32" pneumatic/air brake tubing. The barb on the intake is 1/4", so I bought a push-on adapter for 5/32" female to 1/4" male (MettleAir MTGJ1/4-5/32), then clamped a 1/4" silicone hose between the adapter and the intake. Clamps probably aren't necessary on an NA car, but mine is turbocharged so I used them for extra security. I have an LS2 intake, so the barb comes out perpendicular to the back of the intake, 90 degrees from where it would on an LS1/LS6. I think this fix would still work on those, hose routing would just be slightly different.

Intake slid forward:

Intake in place, ready to bolt down:

Old 06-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Nice job & thanks for the tip.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

I basically did the same thing when I had the intake off. I extended that hose using a rubber fitting and about 5 inches of vacuum tube. I just put a zip tie around it to hold it. The extra length is perfect for re-installation of the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Trick to repair broken plastic HVAC hose behind intake

Quick Reply: Trick to repair broken plastic HVAC hose behind intake