C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03Z windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:39 PM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 157 Likes on 104 Posts
Default 03Z windshield question

Needed a new front windshield. A friend of mine is a 42 yr Glass Guy - he's seen it all and does all my work.

I had to get aftermarket glass - I'm sure its OK for HUD but not sure if it's 4.8mm (i really don't care about that). He removed the broken OEM glass today and wants to install the replacement tomorrow. He wants to use a 'universal' top seal. Says it'll NEVER leak - and he's probably right. Id does however look a little different and doesn't have the longer 'tongue' that goes under the glass - here's a pic of both profiles.

What are my options here? Order the OEM part (who is the preferred guy here?) or go with the street rod style rubber? Are they easy to get quickly? Do they have the Corvette Tax added?

There is a grove / detail across the top of the OEM part that makes it look a little different and the OEM part is glossy finished.

What would YOU GUYS do??
Thanks for any input.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2018, 03:57 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I would go with the 42 year glass guy versus a bunch of guys on the internet.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 PM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply - Do I detect sarcasm?
There's quite a few REALLY sharp guys here - glass might not be their specialty but I know there are some Retired GM engineers here. My Brother and my Son are both active GM engineers - you can just tell em by the way they write.
I'm just worried about that long tongue that goes under the glass - it was put there for a reason. The universal profile doesn't have it - also for a reason.
I think TOO much - Its a curse.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

In addition to the top seal question, I’m interested in how clear your HUD display is with a non-HUD windshield. Once the install is complete, I’d really appreciate the follow up to include the windshield manufacturer.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Mickeyrx70

In addition to the top seal question, I’m interested in how clear your HUD display is with a non-HUD windshield. Once the install is complete, I’d really appreciate the follow up to include the windshield manufacturer.
Ditto ^. I have heard conflicting reports on non HUD glass, so I’m in for follow-up as well.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 AM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I've read the threads and seen the pics of the blurry HUD. I was told that this glass IS the HUD model. I will be setting it in the hole and looking at the display BEFORE any glue gets applied. The glass is $1100 retail - it F'n BETTER be right! I'll be sure to follow up.
Now...
How about the top seal? I've looked at some of the vendors here and they don't show the profile of that piece. For all I know its the universal stuff anyway. I need some advice, he wants to install today. I can hold him off a little though as he knows I want this done once and done right.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2018, 12:46 PM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Seems like I bought some time to get this top strip thing figured out. The windshield that he was sent has an antenna in it. Wrong car.
Does anyone know the GM part number for that top strip? I do NOT want to re-use the old one and the instructions say - in step 1 - install a NEW on on the glass.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:53 PM
JumboShrimp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

For those that wanted a follow-up. This is the glass I got. It Mic'd out at 4.8 - 5MM depending where I took the reading and how hard I squeezed. The HUD looks as good as OEM - the PGW glass is stamped HUD so....

I'm not in love with the upper rubber but If I had time I would have gotten the GM part. The job is done and seems to be fine. $100 deductible and BOOM goes the Dynamite!
The following users liked this post:
FX VETTE (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Thanks for the update. Glad you’re happy with the results.

Last edited by Mickeyrx70; 06-21-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 03Z windshield question

Quick Reply: 03Z windshield question