C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, seatbelt stuck, won't extend and is fully retracted

Old 06-24-2018, 05:08 AM
808_c5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help, seatbelt stuck, won't extend and is fully retracted

I've been replacing some interior parts and decided to go from gray seatbelts to black ones. I bought a used set and out of the shipping box i noticed that they do not extend. They are in the cinch mode and i am only able to get them to extend 1/4" at a time by working the locking mechanism bit by bit. Spent some time getting one of the retractors to unwind everything it had to see if the cinch mode would release/reset after i let it retract back in but it didnt work. One thing to note is that the belts/assemblies are out of the car, and the belts are fully retracted to where they cannot roll up anymore.. whereas when installed in the car the cinch mode normally resets when the belt retracts to a certain point and actually has some length remaining in the plastic trim and where the belt's button stop hits the bolt and guide above the shoulder area. The belts are not folded and all 4 retractors are stuck like this.

anyone ever open up the retractor assembly or have this sort of problem?

Last edited by 808_c5; 06-24-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:51 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

I would install one and see if normal operation can be restored. Getting the mechanisms in the right orientation may help.

Pulling the belt all the way out sets the lock mechanism so that it locks in position at whatever position it returns to until the belt is allowed to retract back into the housing. The primary function of this feature is for child seats. The secondary benefit is for holding you in place for spirited driving.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:32 AM
808_c5
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll see what happens if i install one but what i dont understand is that the belt has returned to its fully retracted position and it does not release. And by fully retracted, i mean more seat belt is actually rolled into it than it normally would roll when installed due to the routing of the belt through the trim so i would think the release mechanism would have been triggered.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help, seatbelt stuck, won't extend and is fully retracted

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help, seatbelt stuck, won't extend and is fully retracted