C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse 49 blows even with ignition OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 PM
jbmckissack
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse 49 blows even with ignition OFF!

HVAC blower quit blowing. I checked and Fuse 49 (BLO MOT 30A) located in the passenger foot was blown.
I put in a new fuse and it blew instantly and the keys were not even in the ignition.
You talk about a bright blinding flash!

Codes:
HVAC B0361
HVAC B0367

I have a 98 C5 targa, dual zone temp control.
I have been putting this off for a long time......

Any help is more than welcomed. Where do I even start?

Last edited by jbmckissack; 06-25-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sounds like you have a short to a hot wire. Would look up a wiring schematic and start troubleshooting.
The following users liked this post:
jbmckissack (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

FUSE 49 is HOT AT ALL TIMES, so it doesn't matter if the key is on or not. That blower control module is well known to short.

Un-plug the module and see if the fuse blows immediately. If it doesn't, the module is KAPUT.

Remove the module and open it up. Usually you will know pretty quick if its bad!!!!

Oh,, By the way,, Those modules are $$$$$$$$$$

The module is on the under side of the HVAC AIR BOX in the passengers foot well. You only need to remove ONE screw to remove the module. The other two are on a U shaped eyelet that allows you to just loosen the screws to allow it to slide out.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 06-25-2018 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jbmckissack (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM
jbmckissack
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Sounds like you have a short to a hot wire. Would look up a wiring schematic and start troubleshooting.
I downloaded the wireing schematic. I looks like it has to be the "blower motor control module" because it is the only thing between the blower and power.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
FUSE 49 is HOT AT ALL TIMES, so it doesn't matter if the key is on or not. That blower control module is well known to short.

Un-plug the module and see if the fuse blows immediately. If it doesn't, the module is KAPUT.

Remove the module and open it up. Usually you will know pretty quick if its bad!!!!

Oh,, By the way,, Those modules are $$$$$$$$$$

The module is on the under side of the HVAC AIR BOX in the passengers foot well. You only need to remove ONE screw to remove the module. The other two are on a U shaped eyelet that allows you to just loosen the screws to allow it to slide out.
I found a "blower motor control module" on ebay new of $39. Can I trust it. I picked up a fuse at lunch, maybe I can pull the module and put the fuse in and see.

Thank you so much for you guidance!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would provide you pictures but the damn forum changed the format and I can post from photobucket. SAD!!

Send me an e-mail bill327@msn.com and I will give you pics.

BC
Old 06-25-2018, 03:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would say NO!! There are TWO blower motor control modules. Manual Control that contains some resistors that control the motor speed and the DUAL CLIMATE CONTROL that uses transistor controlled pulse modulation to run the motor.

The manual control module is inexpensive and I would say that's the one that's for sale. :-(

If you are strapped for cash, Call VETTENUTS (C5 reclaimer) and see if he has a good/better deal on a replacement module.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuse 49 blows even with ignition OFF!

Quick Reply: Fuse 49 blows even with ignition OFF!