C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Hot outside to have shift cable busted

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 05:25 PM
speedy-vet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Default Too Hot outside to have shift cable busted

So I'm parked at nutrition store and got there w/o a problem. When I tried to leave my shifter was swimming upNdown!!! WThell?? I thought the computer didn't read well. Turn off/turn on.. nothing!
Shop was closed by then, towing was hell since wheels were locked and wrecker needed 2 lifters so it wont drag pulling it from behind.
It's parked in garage now but how much is this cable? and how much am I looking at with labor? Anyone?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

All you probably need is a new bushing for one of the ends. I don't remember the PN but if you google it there is a doorman help product available for around $10. All you have to do is pop in the new bushing after you figure out which end it is and you are going again. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:15 PM
Simtech
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Check out this post

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-repair.html
Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Probably there's no need to replace the whole shifter cable. What usually happens is that the bushings are gone and they are the only things that need to be replaced. Even though at this point most probably only 1 gave up, take the opportunity and replace bushings at both ends.

All you need is the
<b>Dorman 14057</b> Dorman 14057
kit. Use the white bushings (the orange ones are for Ford):

And
shows you how to do it.

This is very doable and it's just a few bucks and a couple of hours to change the bushing at both ends of the cable, taking your time
Old 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Just be careful not to bend the cable very much. The plastic ends are brittle and if it breaks you will have to replace the entire cable. Cable is not very expensive but it's a PITA to install. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2018, 01:21 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Also when you replace the bushing at the transmission end I found it much easier if you remove this lever from the transmission. Pop it on the bushing with pliers. Then replace the lever.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:57 PM
speedy-vet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

You guys ROCK!! I totally appreciate all the replies here and suggestions. I have no tools whatsoever but I just returned from traveling and will get these printed so that I take it to a reputable place, they can see I have done my research.
Sylvia
Old 07-12-2018, 05:31 PM
BRKLYN
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

I did the cable, fished it with a shoe string, car on lift I'm in car, friend on the bottom. Also with two people, you can reach underneath and shift into drive, get the car anywhere you want. I drive mine to the shop.

Get notified of new replies

To Too Hot outside to have shift cable busted

Quick Reply: Too Hot outside to have shift cable busted