C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Low Pressure Port Questions (Not Typical)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default AC Low Pressure Port Questions (Not Typical)

Today, I decided to check my AC refrigerant, and subsequently topped it off with a 12 oz. can. When I was done, I went to screw the cap back on the low pressure port with the car still running. I dropped the cap near the battery compartment. So, I shut off the car to look for it. I heard air hissing out of the low pressure port. No refrigerant was escaping, just pressurized air. Thinking the Schrader valve might be loose, I stuck a TINY screwdriver into the valve recess to see if I could turn or wiggle the valve, and it seemed fine. This hissing went on for a while. I found the cap and put it back on and didn't hear the hissing any longer, presumably due to the rubber seal in the cap. I waited a while then took the cap off. No hissing. Curious, I started the car again, turned the AC on for a while, and heard nothing coming from the cap (maybe because the engine noise masked the hissing). I turned the car off, and heard a much lesser hissing for a short bit even though the cap was on. I took the cap off again to investigate, and noticed what seemed to be a tiny bleed hole manufactured in the cap, unlike the high pressure cap which has no hole.

I seem to recall hearing a similar sound when I've turned off other cars after the AC has been on, but I can't be sure. Maybe I only noticed this in the C5 because I topped of the refrigerant and lost the cap for a bit, but I don't recall hearing hissing from the low pressure port when I recently recharged my mother's Nissan Versa and my wife's Acura TL. Now, this may be because the designs of the AC systems are different. For example, my wife's Acura TL has an AC pressure relief valve somewhere, and when it had a AC clutch relay problem it would build up a LOT of pressure and let it out in bursts in a sound that can only be described as a pressure cooker on a stove.

So, my questions are:

Is the whole in the low pressure cap indicative that the low pressure port is also a pressure relief port?

If so, is SOME amount of pressure being "relieved" normal?

Could this have happened because I added a little too much refrigerant?

Should I replace the Schrader valve, and if so, will all the refrigerant shoot out at me, and require me to fill it back up?

Thank you so much for any advice or thoughts.

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-12-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

"No refrigerant was escaping, just pressurized air."

That was refrigerant, just in a gas form, not liquid.

No air in there, at least there should not be, if there is you have big problems!

That shrader valve is probably sticking open a little.

I'm not a car A/C guy, but did home and commercial buildings A/C and refrigeration for over 10 years.

There is a tool on those systems you can buy to change the schrader valve while the system has refrigerant, not sure if there is a tool like that for R134a cars with the quick disconnect fittings?

Otherwise you will need to have the system discharged, then remove the schrader valve quickly and put the new one in then put your gauges back on and immediately turn on vacuum pump to start evacuating.

Technically you are supposed to replace the drier each time the system is opened up to atmosphere pressure, but if you are quick and start evacuating right away you will probably be ok.

If you don't have gauges and vacuum pump, you could probably get a shop to do all this for you and recharge it.

My friend was going to have me do his van, just check the charge and see, but he ended up taking it to Big O tires and they recovered the refrigerant, evacuated and weighed in new refrigerant for $139.00 including refrigerant, labor and taxes.

Of course you would pay more having them replace schrader valve, probably replace both.

Might be the best route unless you want to buy the tools yourself.

Last edited by 1999corvettels1; 07-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

here ya go:
Amazon Amazon
use these all the time when we pull vacuum on a system.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:31 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

According to the FSM, the caps are the primary seal. Primary, with the Schrader's the secondary seal. Does not make any sense the cap would have a vent or bleed hole. Mine doesn't.
You didn't, by chance, use a Harbor Freight gage set to check pressures? I have the HF set, and have bent a Schrader pin when I wasn't being careful.

Last edited by redzg; 07-13-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 PM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Sometime a small piece of trash will hang on the valve seal. Just tap it to do a quick release to clear it. If that was causing the leak, and it seals, you're good to go. Had this happen more than once.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:42 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mfi
here ya go: https://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-81.../dp/B000KITSMI
use these all the time when we pull vacuum on a system.
Thank you for pointing me to that tool. What do you mean by "pulling vacuum"?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redzg
According to the FSM, the caps are the primary seal. Primary, with the Schrader's the secondary seal. Does not make any sense the cap would have a vent or bleed hole. Mine doesn't.
You didn't, by chance, use a Harbor Freight gage set to check pressures? I have the HF set, and have bent a Schrader pin when I wasn't being careful.
​​​​​​That's interesting that the plastic cap is the primary seal. My cap has what looks like a tiny hole dead center in the top. I initially thought that maybe the design was such that the flat rubber gasket on the inside blocked the hole, but if pressure built up it would then seep around the gasket and out of the hole. Wishful thinking, I know, given that Schrader valves are designed to allow air in and prevent its escape.

I used the gauge that came with a refrigerant kit too see if i was low on refrigerant. I was right in the middle of the range, but since I had a little left, thought I would top it off. As usual, i should not have tried to "fix what isn't broken".

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-15-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by awches
Sometime a small piece of trash will hang on the valve seal. Just tap it to do a quick release to clear it. If that was causing the leak, and it seals, you're good to go. Had this happen more than once.
If only it were that easy, in my case. I have since discovered that my valve is slow to close.

I had put the cap on, and heard no hissing. After my initial post i removed the cap and it wasn't leaking. Thinking some debris might be lodged in it, I depressed the pin a couple of times. When I released the pin, sure enough, it did not close immediately. Put the cap on to seal it. Came back later, removed the cap, no leak.

Next morning, drove it to work making two stops along the way. The first leg of the drive was with ac off. When I got to the first stop I removed the cap to check, and no leak. The next two legs i used the ac, which blew cold, checking both times afterwards and still no leak.

I have checked a couple of more times since then, and ac is cold with no leaks. Must be a weak valve spring. I wonder if i should just leave it now, and if something goes south later, get that tool referenced above and change it then.

Don't want to try to again fix something that's not broken (at the moment)! Thoughts?

​​​
​​​​

Last edited by MrLeadFoot; 07-15-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
​​​​​​...I used the gauge that came with a refrigerant kit to see if I was low on refrigerant. I was right in the middle of the range, but since I had a little left, thought I would top it off...
Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
...I have since discovered that my valve is slow to close.

I had put the cap on, and heard no hissing. After my initial post i removed the cap and it wasn't leaking. Thinking some debris might be lodged in it, I depressed the pin a couple of times. When I released the pin, sure enough, it did not close immediately. Put the cap on to seal it. Came back later, removed the cap, no leak...

...I have checked a couple of more times since then, and ac is cold with no leaks. Must be a weak valve spring. I wonder if i should just leave it now, and if something goes south later, get that tool referenced above and change it then.

Don't want to try to again fix something that's not broken (at the moment)! Thoughts?​​​​
A defective valve can only get worse. IMHO, it would be wise to be proactive.

OTOH, relaying on a kit's gauge and in a "range" printed on it (completely disregarding the high side), is not the best way to check and recharge a system.

Get a set of A/C manifold gauges. Doesn't have to be top-of-the-line and uber expensive. One from Harbor Freight would be fine (or get a free loaner from an auto parts store).

Although not essential, a thermometer will give you a better idea of the A/C system health. You can get
<b>one of these</b> one of these
for around 5 bucks:

Check both pressures to have an idea of how things are. Take a look at this post. It has detailed instructions to check/add refrigerant.

-These are the CliffsNotes:

Check your pressures against the chart below. Make sure you take your readings with:
  • Engine @ 2000 rpm
  • A/C in coldest setting
  • Fan at maximum speed
  • Both windows down
  • Thermometer in center air vent

When adding refrigerant, pay attention to both pressures, otherwise you might end up with the high side sky-high trying to get the low side to the chart's value.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:17 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Wow, good info, thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To AC Low Pressure Port Questions (Not Typical)

Quick Reply: AC Low Pressure Port Questions (Not Typical)