C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:19 AM
Hkdonvettes
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Map lights issue

This might be a dumb question but here goes.
(In a C5 Convertible) For some reason my map lights aren't working and neither is my glove box light or vanity mirror lights. I have no manual but checked online for fuse info and have been unable to figure out which fuse they are on.
Are they on a "mini fuse" or a "micro relay" circuit??

Any help on this would be appreciated.
THX!!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Hkdonvettes
This might be a dumb question but here goes.
(In a C5 Convertible) For some reason my map lights aren't working and neither is my glove box light or vanity mirror lights. I have no manual but checked online for fuse info and have been unable to figure out which fuse they are on.
Are they on a "mini fuse" or a "micro relay" circuit??

Any help on this would be appreciated.
THX!!
Try this web site to get a free download C5 manual.
http://corvette-world.com/article-ca...d-Manuals.html
The following users liked this post:
Hkdonvettes (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:23 PM
Hkdonvettes
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Also under hood light will be out.

Try fuse #2 in the passenger foot well fuse box.
Thanks! I did check that fuse and it was in fact blown. Replaced it and new one blew right away. Do you happen to know what all is on that circuit, by chance? Or why fuse keeps frying?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Hkdonvettes
Advanced

I do know what is on Fuse #2 in the foot well fuse box.

Engine Compartment light
Glove box light
Both vanity mirror lights.
Two Lights on the bottom of the inside rear view mirror. (but NOT the flood light)

As for cause of the fuse blowing it is drawing more than the rated amp of the fuse.(10A)

Likely a short in the wiring to one of the above lights.

Has there been any work or damage recently around any of those lights? That is the easiest way to start the diagnosis process to find the cause. Beyond that it is a time consuming process to chase the wires to each light.
I had removed and replaced the glove box. That's when I noticed the light not working in the box. So started my awareness of things not working. Guess I will get on the search for the gremlin! Thanks for your help!
Old 07-23-2018, 12:47 AM
Hkdonvettes
Advanced

Glove box area is where I would definitely start since you have been in that area....
Glove box is exactly where I decided to start. I had anticipated a long drawn out search but fortunately I found the issue pretty quick!
1. First step buy lots of fuses!
2. Unplug glove box light and insert new #2 fuse. She blows!
3. Glove box eliminated. Plug back in.
4. Move to Driver side sun visor. Remove and unplug. Insert new #2 Fuse.....and she blows!
5. Driver visor eliminated. Plug back in and re-install.
6. Move to passenger side visor. Remove and unplug. Insert new #2 Fuse.....Fuse does not blow!!
7. Inspect lines and find that both lines folded over metal tube and showed very slight cut which caused the short.
8. Repair lines and add shrink tube over lines for added protection and reconnect and install.
9. Check ~ Glove box light working, Vanity lights working, map lights working and mirror auto darkening working again!
10. Gremlin vanquished!

Thank you very much for your help!!
Old 07-24-2018, 04:29 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Hkdonvettes
Glove box is exactly where I decided to start. I had anticipated a long drawn out search but fortunately I found the issue pretty quick!
1. First step buy lots of fuses!
2. Unplug glove box light and insert new #2 fuse. She blows!
3. Glove box eliminated. Plug back in.
4. Move to Driver side sun visor. Remove and unplug. Insert new #2 Fuse.....and she blows!
5. Driver visor eliminated. Plug back in and re-install.
6. Move to passenger side visor. Remove and unplug. Insert new #2 Fuse.....Fuse does not blow!!
7. Inspect lines and find that both lines folded over metal tube and showed very slight cut which caused the short.
8. Repair lines and add shrink tube over lines for added protection and reconnect and install.
9. Check ~ Glove box light working, Vanity lights working, map lights working and mirror auto darkening working again!
10. Gremlin vanquished!

Thank you very much for your help!!
Or you could use a volt/ohm meter. One side on ground one going to the item to be checked

Get notified of new replies

To Map lights issue

Quick Reply: Map lights issue