C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both driver's side brake lights out with Euro tail lights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Both driver's side brake lights out with Euro tail lights...

My Z06 has Euro tail lights, which have two bulbs, one for the turn signal (Amber) and one for the brake/tail light.

All turn signals work, all tail lights (running lights) work. But when I press the brake, I get no brake lights out of the driver's side tail lights only. The center brake light pulses every time the brakes are pressed, exactly nine times, then holds solid for as long as you hold the brakes (even minutes).

I'm completely baffled. No CELS, no other electrical problems, no other issues.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:41 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by UCANIC
My Z06 has Euro tail lights, which have two bulbs, one for the turn signal (Amber) and one for the brake/tail light.

All turn signals work, all tail lights (running lights) work. But when I press the brake, I get no brake lights out of the driver's side tail lights only. The center brake light pulses every time the brakes are pressed, exactly nine times, then holds solid for as long as you hold the brakes (even minutes).

I'm completely baffled. No CELS, no other electrical problems, no other issues.
Did the brake light failure just happen or has it been there all along? The answer to that question may alter the diagnostic/repair things you want to do.

If the failure suddenly occurred consider the following. First step: take off the offending left tail light and check its brake tail light - replace if necessary. If that doesn't identify the issue, next see if the electrical connector is fully plugged in. While doing that, you might clean the male prongs - sometimes corrosion invades these plugs and interrupts electrical contact. Third, check voltage at electrical connector and see if its hot when hitting the brakes. If none of those (no cost) steps reveals a problem, post again and we'll deliberate what else you might do. Further diagnostic tests might trigger $$$s for parts. In any event, don't throw parts/money at it until you've isolated the underlying problem(s).

Caution: be sure you replace each tail light unit exactly as it was installed. The inboard units are typically different from the outboard ones. Reversing these could complicate your life.

The Lizzard

Last edited by LoneStarLizzard; 07-14-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Did the brake light failure just happen or has it been there all along? The answer to that question may alter the diagnostic/repair things you want to do.
Happened sometime in the last few weeks. Just had a friend tell me when I was leaving his house.

I've swapped the bulbs; no go. I removed the relay/mod that makes the center tail light blink. No go. Current is getting to the tails for the running lights, but when the running lights/headlights are off, there is no voltage to these outlets when the brake light is pressed. Contacts look completely clean of corrosion/debris, so I didn't bother to scrub them out, but might try that too.

Can you explain the last part, about "exactly as installed?" What are you talking about? Like, not putting the fixtures for the outer bulbs in the inner housings by mistake, or something else? AFAIK the tail/brake bulbs are all the same part number across the back.

Last edited by Endeka; 07-16-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by UCANIC
Edit: Oh Lord; I'm a moron. LoneStarLizzard was totally right. So, sure enough, there are outer and inner brake+tail light bulbs, The outers are Sylvania 3157 B2, the inners are 3157K. I took the tail lights off to polish off some yellowing over the winter, and must have reversed the bulbs.

Thanks a million! We're 100%!
Hahaha...I'm only so smart because I did the same thing a few years back. Three years from now, you can be the "hero" when another owner has a similar problem.

Glad you resolved the issue. It's miserable when your Vette doesn't work right and you don't know how to fix it.

The Lizzard

Get notified of new replies

To Both driver's side brake lights out with Euro tail lights...

Quick Reply: Both driver's side brake lights out with Euro tail lights...