C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy C5 A/C compressor replacement without removing water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:42 PM
casualfornow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy C5 A/C compressor replacement without removing water pump

I found an easier way to replace the a/c compressor on a Corvette C5 WITHOUT removing the water pump.

If everyone already knows this please remove or disregard.

Simply remove the thermostat housing and hoses after draining coolant. And, of course, remove any remaining Freon.
Next disconnect the Freon tubes and the a/c unit.

KEY: Remove the engine covers and engine mount bolts from the bottom (2). Have a 2x6 wooden piece 4-10" long, and with
the car on jack stands slide the wooden piece between the suspension and with a floor jack, jack the engine up with the wood up about two inches with the engine
covers off. Now there is enough room to remove and replace the a/c compressor. Always get a NEW one. (How do you think
I know that?) And have the system vacuumed before adding more Freon. I hope this helps. It has me. Stole the idea from
You tube:
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I have seen that video a couple of weeks ago, I would rather just pull the water pump off than to risk damaging the oil pan.

Maybe with wood it would be ok, but what if the pan gets damaged?

Water pump sounds easier to replace than a oil pan.

The following users liked this post:
DWAVette (05-04-2021)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Mr.Fizoust
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Id have to agree with 1999Corvettels1
Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 PM
casualfornow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it several times with no issues. To each is own. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:01 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I was thinking the water pump is easy, but never done one on C5.

Is the water a big job on C5?

I was thinking it would be similar to SBC and BBC, which are easy.

Worst water pump I ever did was on 1994 grand am, took days.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM
OregonDan
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by casualfornow
I found an easier way to replace the a/c compressor on a Corvette C5 WITHOUT removing the water pump.

If everyone already knows this please remove or disregard.

Simply remove the thermostat housing and hoses after draining coolant. And, of course, remove any remaining Freon.
Next disconnect the Freon tubes and the a/c unit.

KEY: Remove the engine covers and engine mount bolts from the bottom (2). Have a 2x6 wooden piece 4-10" long, and with
the car on jack stands slide the wooden piece between the suspension and with a floor jack, jack the engine up with the wood up about two inches with the engine
covers off. Now there is enough room to remove and replace the a/c compressor. Always get a NEW one. (How do you think
I know that?) And have the system vacuumed before adding more Freon. I hope this helps. It has me. Stole the idea from
You tube:
What "engine covers" are you referring to? I got the sense from the film you attached that he only loosened the passenger side motor mount nut, not both sides - is your experience saying to remove/loosen both motor mount nuts?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:25 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

might have to try this method. really not trying to take out my waterpump , bad enough it looks like I have to remove the procharger HU to get in there.

i actually might just run no AC because after working on peoples cars all day last thing I want to do is work on my own car lol
Old 05-04-2021, 02:08 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Fizoust
Id have to agree with 1999Corvettels1
, too. The water pump only has, what, 4 bolts? I've also successfully reused the 2 water pump to block gaskets, too. This was with the gaskets being only 2 or 3 years old. Probably not a good idea on 12 year old gaskets They really aren't gaskets, actually more like O-rings.....
Old 05-04-2021, 03:15 PM
DWAVette
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 353 Posts

Come on...if I can replace a 99 water pump, idler pulley, and compressor, surely anyone with a wrench can do it. I am a poor imitation of a Bubba.
Lots of pictures. Parts off. Study pictures. parts on. Scratch head. Study pictures. Parts off. Repeat as many times as needed.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Originally Posted by grinder11
, too. The water pump only has, what, 4 bolts? I've also successfully reused the 2 water pump to block gaskets, too. This was with the gaskets being only 2 or 3 years old. Probably not a good idea on 12 year old gaskets They really aren't gaskets, actually more like O-rings.....
Originally Posted by DWAVette
Come on...if I can replace a 99 water pump, idler pulley, and compressor, surely anyone with a wrench can do it. I am a poor imitation of a Bubba.
Lots of pictures. Parts off. Study pictures. parts on. Scratch head. Study pictures. Parts off. Repeat as many times as needed.

ok so real time how long did it take you to do ? all in ?

Cause I know what alldata calls for/what it pays, but many jobs can be done in less, some jobs take longer. Debating if its worth me installing AC in my vette that the PO deleted.

again simply becuase after working on cars all day, i dont want to work on my own
Old 05-04-2021, 08:14 PM
DWAVette
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 353 Posts

I understand your point. Back when I did AC work full-time, the last thing I wanted to do was work on my own unit when I got home. I see where your coming from.

I took my time and worked very slowly since it was my first LS motor work. Took me two half-days. Meaning I started early Saturday morning, called it at mid-day, then started again early Sunday morning. I installed new compressor, new idler pulley, all new o-rings for the AC lines, new water pump. I also changed the accumulator dryer at the firewall. I was weighing the refrigerant charge and finishing up by mid-day Sunday.

If you are an auto mechanic (unlike me), and you have all the tools, gauges, restrictor, o-rings, proper refrigerant oil, etc, you can definitely do this in one full day.

I insist on doing everything I can on all my cars because I have been throughly unimpressed with “professional” mechanics. Sometimes I have to bring them to a shop.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:50 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I changed mine by pulling the header. Wanted to change the plugs too and with the plugs already out the header is pretty easy to pull, probably easier than the pump.

If you're draining the cooling system already, then it's just not that hard to take the pump off. Probably the same amount of work as removing the thermostat and jacking the engine.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:42 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I changed mine by pulling the header. Wanted to change the plugs too and with the plugs already out the header is pretty easy to pull, probably easier than the pump.

If you're draining the cooling system already, then it's just not that hard to take the pump off. Probably the same amount of work as removing the thermostat and jacking the engine.
I have longtubes, wonder if I can sneak it out. Looks like at a minimum i need to take the procharger off.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
I have longtubes, wonder if I can sneak it out. Looks like at a minimum i need to take the procharger off.
If you pull the header it should come out. I don't think you'd have to take off the procharger.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:46 PM
6spdg37s
Drifting

I am re evaluating this and I think if I unmount the procharger (the belt has to come off anyway) and maybe move those heater hoses that I can sneak the compressor in from over head passenger side. since it has long tubes there seems to be some room.

having the procharger out of the way will also help install the condenser and lines. this car had the ac deleted. I am re installing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Easy C5 A/C compressor replacement without removing water pump

Quick Reply: Easy C5 A/C compressor replacement without removing water pump