C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange issue when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:18 PM
C5Corvette95
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange issue when braking

Hello everyone,

After starting the car and backing out of the driveway the brakes work normal. However everytime after first starting up the car and getting the car up to 20-30+mph then using the brakes, the first use of the brakes is sketchy and I can feel the car moving around in my lane, i have to correct the wheel as if im doing a moving burnout or something. After that first brake use though, the brakes work completely normal until i turn the car off and use it again the next day, is this normal? Some sort of glaze on the pads or something that gets burned off after first brake? Or is there an issue?

second issue pertaining to the brakes. This happens at random usually after driving for 10+ minutes. When stopping at a stoplight i ease into the brakes slowly and start from far away as i like to drive the car carefully and safely. I Hear no noise at all and the car brakes normally until im coming to a stop from 8mph until 0 i can sometimes hear a strange not very loud grinding noise. The car brakes fine and doesn't move around it just sometimes makes a weird noise as if dirt is in the pads/something is rubbing slightly or something. After i start going again and use the brakes i dont hear it anymore until maybe 5-10 stoplights later it does it again. Is this normal?

thanks

Last edited by C5Corvette95; 07-15-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:37 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

Neither of those symptoms are normal. Are you getting any codes?
For both symptoms, have you checked how much pad is left on all four corners?
Old 07-15-2018, 07:06 PM
blackbear bob
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

The noise that you are hearing sounds to be like a low speed ABS activation. This is usually caused by a wheel speed sensor "dropping out"
It also could explain your sketchy feeling when first applying the brakes if the stability management portion of the ABS is intervening, again caused by a weak wheel speed sensor signal. Need to do some testing.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange issue when braking

Quick Reply: Strange issue when braking