C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a question about code P0101

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:09 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Default I have a question about code P0101

This is the code my 2003 vette just thur, Says Mass or Volume air flow a Circuit range/performance. Can the MAF can this be cleaned or does it need to be replaced? It has a blackwing air filter. When it happens car stumbled and check light comes.Other than that car runs great.

Thanks for your input/help
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 4me
This is the code my 2003 vette just thur, Says Mass or Volume air flow a Circuit range/performance. Can the MAF can this be cleaned or does it need to be replaced? It has a blackwing air filter. When it happens car stumbled and check light comes.Other than that car runs great.

Thanks for your input/help
Yep. See
The following users liked this post:
C5 4me (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Default Thanks Buddy!

Thanks! Its Guys like you that make the Corvette Fourm,1 of the best sites on the net for trouble shooting!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

First thing...A) do you have a scan tool to look at MAF scan data and B) do you have a multimeter and know how to use it ??... if A and B are NO...I probably can’t help you...if the answer to B is YES I can guide you on how to check it electrically to make sure it OK before you change it needlessly !!...just cleaning a MAF sensor is not always the answer to clearing this DTC.....I have a Blackwing also...never had a problem...go ahead and clean it and if you still have the DTC. Let me know ...oh BTW if you clean it and you still have the issue disconnect the MAF sensor and see if the stumble goes away when you take it for a spin...if not we’ll work on a few things !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 07-16-2018 at 02:09 PM.
C5 4me (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 02:01 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by rwobs777
First thing...A) do you have a scan tool to look at MAF scan data and B) do you have a multimeter and know how to use it ??... if A and B are NO...I probably can’t help you...if the answer to B is YES I can guide you on how to check it electrically to make sure it OK before you change it needlessly !!...just cleaning a MAF sensor is not always the answer to clearing this DTC.....I have a Blackwing also...never had a problem...go ahead and clean it and if you still have the DTC. Let me know !!
No to (A) And yes to (B) And I just got the Car,so I will try to clean it 1st. Not opposed to replacing the part if need be. Love the look of the Blackwing,would you have any info on how to clean it? any help would be great as I am sure It could use a bath,while I am in there cleaning stuff.

Last edited by C5 4me; 07-16-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:27 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

No to (A) And yes to (B) And I just got the Car,so I will try to clean it 1st. Not opposed to replacing the part if need be. Love the look of the Blackwing,would you have any info on how to clean it? any help would be great as I am sure It could use a bath,while I am in there cleaning stuff.
Hi !!
SLP makes a cleaner and an oiler for the filter !!..you can order it through Amazon for about $30.00...just letting you know that to “properly” diagnose a P0101 you have to look at MAP voltage with a scan tool or take a voltage measurement which is a little difficult based on where the MAP sensor harness resides(picture enclosed)...a skewed MAP sensor makes what the MAF sensor is seeing inaccurate !!...if you want we can ASSUME the MAP sensor is functionIng correctly but without checking it I can’t verify success !!...while you are cleaning the MAF sensor and have it disconnected if you want I can show you how to check power and grounds !!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:32 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Hi !!
SLP makes a cleaner and an oiler for the filter !!..you can order it through Amazon for about $30.00...just letting you know that to “properly” diagnose a P0101 you have to look at MAP voltage with a scan tool or take a voltage measurement which is a little difficult based on where the MAP sensor harness resides(picture enclosed)...a skewed MAP sensor makes what the MAF sensor is seeing inaccurate !!...if you want we can ASSUME the MAP sensor is functionIng correctly but without checking it I can’t verify success !!...while you are cleaning the MAF sensor and have it disconnected if you want I can show you how to check power and grounds !!
Yes,Please inform me about testing it. Might as well as I will have access to the plug. & I will order the SLP cleaner/oiler from amazon today.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:16 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, Testing !!
Disconnect the harness and there are only 3 wires for the MAF we'll be checking...the other 2 are for the IAT sensor
1) With the "KEY ON" measure the voltage from the signal wire (YELLOW) to a good body ground near the sensor...you should be reading around 5 volts (this is the 5 volt reference circuit of which there are a few on the C5...picture enclosed )
2) With an INCANDESCENT test light attach the end of the test light to the PINK wire (12 volts) and touch it to the BLACK/WHITE wire which is a chassis ground (G106)...we are making sure we have a good ground !!..now the pins for the harness sit kinda deep inside the connector...I use T-pins and I backprobe the wire...I don't want to risk spreading those pins apart which can lead to a loose or bad connection when reconnected. I'll show a picture of the backprobed MAF wire.
3)That's about it for those 3 wires !!....signal, power, and ground !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 07-16-2018 at 04:28 PM.
C5 4me (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:26 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Yes,Please inform me about testing it. Might as well as I will have access to the plug. & I will order the SLP cleaner/oiler from amazon today.
AND ORDER A SCAN TOOL WHILE YOU'RE AT IT !!!...scan tools are pretty cheap these days and make diagnosing SOOOOOOOOOO much easier....having a 20 year old car you'll need one....just saying !!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:05 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

AND ORDER A SCAN TOOL WHILE YOU'RE AT IT !!!...scan tools are pretty cheap these days and make diagnosing SOOOOOOOOOO much easier....having a 20 year old car you'll need one....just saying !!
THANKS! now thats how you explain how to test something! Love the T pin trick. What does a scan tool like yours cost. Thats nice & I need new ideals to ask for Xmas/Birthday/Fathers day.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:30 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

THANKS! now thats how you explain how to test something! Love the T pin trick. What does a scan tool like yours cost. Thats nice & I need new ideals to ask for Xmas/Birthday/Fathers day.
Super !!...yes, mostly everyone these days backprobe connectors using these t-pins...you DON'T want to jam a test lead into these fragile pins !!...you can probably pick some up at any craft store. I paid about a $1,000.00 for mine (Autel MS906) but it's bidirectional and I can command it to open and close windows, turn on my fuel pump, make keys and program FOB's !!...it will check injectors for flow (if you have a pressure gauge), check sensors for proper operation and a whole lot more...and is VERY easy to use !!....a co-worker of mine opened up an AAMCO on the side and I work part time if he's real busy and needs help with diagnostics...and I do a little work on my own....just got a lab scope (DSO) a few months ago and getting pretty proficient with that thing...that is probably the best diagnostic tool I own hands down !!!...probably when I retire in 3 years I'll do diagnostics to pick up some extra cash...just diagnosing and no fixing...leave that for the "greasemonkeys"...LOL !!!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 07-16-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:41 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Super !!...yes, mostly everyone these days backprobe connectors using these t-pins...you DON'T want to jam a test lead into these fragile pins !!...you can probably pick some up at any craft store. I paid about a $1,000.00 for mine (Autel MS906) but it's bidirectional and I can command it to open and close windows, turn on my fuel pump, make keys and program FOB's !!...it will check injectors for flow (if you have a pressure gauge), check sensors for proper operation and a whole lot more...and is VERY easy to use !!....a co-worker of mine opened up an AAMCO on the side and I work part time if he's real busy and needs help with diagnostics...and I do a little work on my own....just got a lab scope (DSO) a few months ago and getting pretty proficient with that thing...that is probably the best diagnostic tool I own hands down !!!...probably when I retire in 3 years I'll do diagnostics to pick up some extra cash...just diagnosing and no fixing...leave that for the "greasemonkeys"...LOL !!!
Thats the tool of my dreams! & thanks again for your advice. I was going to put it in the stealership up here. But figured I would ask my internet family here 1st. Always blown out by the knowledge that the CF has
Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Thats the tool of my dreams! & thanks again for your advice. I was going to put it in the stealership up here. But figured I would ask my internet family here 1st. Always blown out by the knowledge that the CF has
you’re welcome !!...with the money you would save with this scan tool it would pay for itself !!...here’s a good video where you can see the features of it...keep me advised of your progress !!

Last edited by C5 Diag; 07-16-2018 at 08:10 PM.
C5 4me (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:57 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Hey !!
While you're waiting for your Blackwing cleaner and oil here's a great video about MAF sensors. It is a 3 part series.Matt is an excellent instructor and is a microbiologist by trade...he's sharp...watch this an you'll be the forums MAF "guru"...I was going to make a video but all of these hotwire MAF sensors operate the same way (GM) and other manufacturers.

C5 4me (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Default Thanks again for both of your help

Thanks for you help/advice. Had good voltage in my pins. Blackwing looked like it has never been cleaned, so SLP cleaner to the rescue. Cleaned the sensor and seems to fixed the problem.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:43 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for you help/advice. Had good voltage in my pins. Blackwing looked like it has never been cleaned, so SLP cleaner to the rescue. Cleaned the sensor and seems to fixed the problem.
WHOA !!...now that’s dirty !!...glad it’s fixed and don’t put too much oil on that filter !!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Hey !!
While you're waiting for your Blackwing cleaner and oil here's a great video about MAF sensors. It is a 3 part series.Matt is an excellent instructor and is a microbiologist by trade...he's sharp...watch this an you'll be the forums MAF "guru"...I was going to make a video but all of these hotwire MAF sensors operate the same way (GM) and other manufacturers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHsfAXog-FI

WHOA !!...now that’s dirty !!...glad it’s fixed and don’t put too much oil on that filter !!
I wont my friend
Old 07-18-2018, 05:02 PM
rock_man
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wont my friend
I just solved a p0101 code myself and it seems 9/10 times the MAF is just dirty and needs to be thoroughly, gently cleaned. Make sure the intake parts are reassembled to seal air leaks, but not too tight to deform the tubes.

Cheers!
C5 4me (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:18 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by rock_man
I just solved a p0101 code myself and it seems 9/10 times the MAF is just dirty and needs to be thoroughly, gently cleaned. Make sure the intake parts are reassembled to seal air leaks, but not too tight to deform the tubes.

Cheers!
I didnt & thanks for your advice

Get notified of new replies

To I have a question about code P0101

Quick Reply: I have a question about code P0101