C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Hard start, DIC is displaying battery at 11.9 volts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C5 Hard start, DIC is displaying battery at 11.9 volts.

In my '99 when I turn the key into the run position DIC says battery volts is 11.9 is this normal and would this cause a hard start? The hard start only ever occurs when the car is left sitting overnight or is able to cool down. After driving for a bit then restarting the car it starts right up. Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2018, 12:39 AM
skittlenips
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Using the DIC to determine the state of health of the battery is an impossible task for several reasons. One is that the gauges are downstream of the ignition switch and the C5 ignition switch is well known for having pitted and burned contacts so the gauges typically report a voltage LESS than the actual voltage measured with a digital multi meter across the battery posts. Second the voltage seen with the key ON but engine off is the loaded battery voltage since there are many electrical circuits in the C5 that place an electrical load on the battery at that time. The voltage gauges were intended to help determine the state of health of the charging system and NOT the state of health of the battery. Unfortunately with the known ignition switch issues it typically reports an alternator output LOWER than the actual output.

Many recent "hard start" threads on the forum the past few moths. Next time the engine is overnight cold, turn the key to ON (NOT START) and leave it there for about 10 seconds. Does the car start right up after the delay or does it still exhibit a hard start??? If it starts right up you have a fuel pressure leakage issue. Could be one or more bad (leaking) injectors or the fuel pressure check valve at the tank is leaning pressure.
I always let the gauges do the sweep then start, still exhibits a hard start.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:30 AM
skittlenips
Racer

Try a little longer wait.
I waited for about a minute before I started and it seemed to have barely any effect. If any effect at all.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 PM
skittlenips
Racer

With the symptom being it only hard starts on cold (ie starts OK with warm engine) and apparently no loss of fuel pressure, the problem is most likely electrical/sensor related. Todays cars use all sorts of sensors to tell the PCM how to set fuel and spark. Likely one or more sensors are not telling the PCM the correct info and the fuel/spark are incorrectly set when the engine is cold. Temp sensor as well as cam and crank sensor and likely other sensor inputs are critical inputs to the PCM. Next time you have a cold start issue, once the engine is running, pull the codes WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. If you are lucky a bad sensor may rear its head and set a code.

To pull codes with the engine running use the RESET button to clear any messages displayed in the DIC and then pull codes as normal.

You might also consider dong the ignition switch diagnostic testing in the following link:

diagnosis

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568186703-post64.html

Perhaps low voltage to one or more sensors is causing them to not report correctly.

Beyond that I have no other suggestions.............
Already pulled the codes and nothing, there's no chance it could be a bad battery? The car has 100k miles and I don't know how old the battery is, plus I live in AZ where the summers are hard on them.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Hmmmmm...
Old 07-23-2018, 02:24 PM
skittlenips
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Hmmmmm...
The codes were read on the DIC. Here's a video of the issue, usually is a harder start than the video, also notice the whirring noise.
​​​​​​

Last edited by skittlenips; 07-23-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:27 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

get a multi meter and ck battery
Old 07-23-2018, 03:53 PM
skittlenips
Racer

You need to have the battery checked!!! If you have a digital multi meter you can measure it as I described in my post #8 above.

With the messages that displayed on the DIC during your attempt to start the car there are certainly DTC's set if you pull the codes using the following procedure:

If you have never pulled codes on your C5 here is how:

https://youtu.be/SviRjIsy9G4

Post ALL the codes including the H or C or HC after each 5 character code. List the codes under the sensor they show with. ie 10 - PCM or 28 - TCS or 40 - BCM ..... etc .....

If any sensor(s) have NO COMM next to them post that also.

Many here can help you understand the meaning of the codes your car may have.

Pull the codes with the engine running. I explained how to do that above in post #6.
PCM is showing no codes, TCS is showing code 1243, and I also have a dead TPS sensor which is throwing a code as well. Those are the only codes my DIC is displaying.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Hard start, DIC is displaying battery at 11.9 volts.

Quick Reply: C5 Hard start, DIC is displaying battery at 11.9 volts.