C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions how to fix this exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Suggestions how to fix this exhaust leak

Decided to try out a new technique today to track down exhaust leaks. I used a shop vac to blow air into the exhaust by sticking the hose in one pipe and plugging the rest. It actually works great and help me find that I have a pretty bad leak on both sides of where my x-pipe connects to the output side pipe from my cats. The band clamps seem to be decent ones and I pretty much have the bolts torqued as much as you can but I'm still leaking. Any thoughts on what to try... new clamps? Copper gasket? Thanks

Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

lap band clamps
Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

I may be experiencing a leak at the same point and want to try your method. What do you mean by “plug the rest?” And did you just feel around for air blowing out of joint or connection?

Last edited by FR-CYA; 07-22-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:29 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FR-CYA
I may be experiencing a leak at the same point and want to try your method. What do you mean by “plug the rest?” And did you just feel around for air blowing out of joint or connection?
It works great! I just took microfiber towels and stuffed them up in the other pipes to block the air. You will also want to stuff rags around the shop vac tube so air wont escape there. I did not expect a leak there, I was thinking it was leaking at the header collector. I felt air blowing with my hand when around that spot.. but also take a bottle of soapy water and spray anywhere you think it might be leaking and it will bubble if it is, it will be very obvious there is a leak. I checked all connection points including the header flanges.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neutron82
lap band clamps
yea I think I will give those a try.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Not a method I would use... I might be paranoid (OK, I am), but unless the vacuum is brand new, and even if it is... you're blowing poorly filtered air into not only the cats, but potentially into the combustion chamber.
Never mind overheating the vacuum.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:02 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by grantv
Not a method I would use... I might be paranoid (OK, I am), but unless the vacuum is brand new, and even if it is... you're blowing poorly filtered air into not only the cats, but potentially into the combustion chamber.
Never mind overheating the vacuum.
I can understand that, I am paranoid also. I was on the fence about trying it but I made sure the vaccum was clean. If anything at all was blown into the cats or combustion chamber it couldn't have been much.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions how to fix this exhaust leak

Quick Reply: Suggestions how to fix this exhaust leak