C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

this is driving me nuts! Service Column lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Default this is driving me nuts! Service Column lock

I had an ongoing issue with the 01. I start the car get the pull key wait 10. sometimes if i change key, it fires right up sometimes all i have to do is flip the key. sometimes if just works as intended.
This morning she fired right up, went to an interview, after the interview fired right up, went home, went to go to a Dr appt and i got repeated service column lock.
came back from the appt and tried it fired right up no problems. It's driving me crazy.
I've been told that battery voltage can be an issue (don't think it is in this case since it's so random)
could it be the ignition switch? also read it could be the BCM. any ideas? I really don't relish taking it to a dealer but I do not think there is a indy shop here versed in vettes

Old 08-21-2018, 07:25 AM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you want to get rid of the column lock symptoms permanently order and install an LMC5. When you do the install do the "brown wire mod" described on page 2 of the install instructions and listed as "optional". DO IT ANYWAY so you are not back there doing it later.

http://www.complianceparts.com/

Last place you want to take it is to the stealership unless you have lots and lots of $$$$ to throwaway on a guaranteed to fail again repair.
thats the thing. that mod was done. I apologise I should have said that. maybe a component went bad ot itaconnection worked loose? thats why it is intermittent?
Old 08-21-2018, 08:39 AM
BluDemonZ06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the LMC5 done on my 02 Z and it started doing this as well as the ignition kill security feature. I swapped my battery from the shitty old everstart to a nice new Red Top and it hasnt done it since. Hope that nugget helps.

Last edited by BluDemonZ06; 08-21-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Markm10431
Omega Aficianado

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If it was an LMC5 and not the CLB (CLB is installed under the drivers side knee bolster while the LMC5 is installed in the passenger foot well right at the BCM) then I would call Richard at Compliance Parts and ask his help in determining what exactly is happening.

http://www.complianceparts.com/contactus.html

His customer service is second to none!!

I do agree 100% with the previous poster that battery or more specifically battery voltage AFTER the ignition switch is the MOST COMMON cause of the column lock symptoms. Could be a weak or bad battery that is failing to retain charge or loose or corroded battery connections INCLUDING the one at the starter solenoid or burnt or corroded ignition switch contacts that cause a voltage drop across the switch contacts thus reducing the voltage reaching the BCM and other electronics after the ignition switch.

Ignition Switch Diagnosis

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568186703-post64.html
no, it was the CLB, never went near the BCM. looks like I know what I need now. will I need to remove the CLB?

Last edited by Markm10431; 08-21-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Every time I was having the pull key fault my battery was at the end of its life or I had been driving too many short trips and had to put a charger on it. I bougt the LMC 5 kit but never put it on.

Get notified of new replies

To this is driving me nuts! Service Column lock

Quick Reply: this is driving me nuts! Service Column lock