C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Selective Real Time Damping.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C5 Selective Real Time Damping.

Hey all,
Can anyone explain to me how "SELECTIVE REAL TIME DAMPING" in my 2000 C5 manual trans.( A $1695.option, 18 years ago!) differs from magnetic ride control in later models? Console switch has has Tour (soft) Sport (stiffer) and Perf. (feel every bump in road) on the fly selectable. Nice feature but rarely hear of it. Magnetic ride control same thing?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:01 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I have it in my car, a 2001 C-5. I was reading a couple of road tests of C-5s, before I bought my car, and the "press cars" were so equipped, and since the press all raved about the handling, I ordered it on my car. So far, I've had no issues with the shocks, but today, thinking what issues could present themselves, and the cost to fix them, I regret ordering the option.

Having said that, it's my understanding that the cars computer system adjusts the shock's internal valving, based on what position the selector switch is in. I confess, however, that I seldom switch mine out of the "tour" position, other than once in a while, the thought being to "exercise" the shocks.
The following users liked this post:
2000 black c5 (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I had the F-45 system / suspension in my 98 MN6 Coupe. When you select that Build RPO, you get the BASE FE-1 suspension with the real time dampening shocks. The shocks have a solenoid controlled metering valve on the side of the shock that has THREE metering settings. There is ZERO real time metering or dampening adjustment other than your hand turning the adjustment switch. The F-55 system is actually able to regulate the current in an electron magnet around an orifice and that magnetic field is able to control the fluid that is able to flow through that orifice.

All in ALL ,,,, "IMHO",,, Flame Suit ON,,,,,,, The F-45 system SUCKED! I was NOT happy at all with the over all handling of the car. If you ever drive a C5 with a dedicated performance suspension, you will see what I mean. When I drove the ZO6, there was an immediate felt improvement in handling Any C5 with a better Z51 or ZO6 suspension or aftermarket improved suspension will hands down make you smile.

YES, I did regret that option on the 98. I sold that car and got a ZO6. I also purchased a C6 Z51 Coupe. Both car handled excellent.

Bill
Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Supposedly the magnetic control responds quicker and better. Tour is softer, and sport is more sporty. For a daily driver Corvette, I enjoyed the F45 system in mine.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I had the F-45 system / suspension in my 98 MN6 Coupe. When you select that Build RPO, you get the BASE FE-1 suspension with the real time dampening shocks. The shocks have a solenoid controlled metering valve on the side of the shock that has THREE metering settings. There is ZERO real time metering or dampening adjustment other than your hand turning the adjustment switch. The F-55 system is actually able to regulate the current in an electron magnet around an orifice and that magnetic field is able to control the fluid that is able to flow through that orifice.

All in ALL ,,,, "IMHO",,, Flame Suit ON,,,,,,, The F-45 system SUCKED! I was NOT happy at all with the over all handling of the car. If you ever drive a C5 with a dedicated performance suspension, you will see what I mean. When I drove the ZO6, there was an immediate felt improvement in handling Any C5 with a better Z51 or ZO6 suspension or aftermarket improved suspension will hands down make you smile.

YES, I did regret that option on the 98. I sold that car and got a ZO6. I also purchased a C6 Z51 Coupe. Both car handled excellent.

Bill
Ouch.
Thanks i think. I've got f-45 apparently , just happened to be in the car when I bought it used. Great handling car to me as it is the first Vette I've ever owned/driven so nothing to compare it to. Ignorance is (was :-0) Bliss..
Thanks for the info for when I get my next one!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tsumi
Supposedly the magnetic control responds quicker and better. Tour is softer, and sport is more sporty. For a daily driver Corvette, I enjoyed the F45 system in mine.
Good to know. Being my first Vette with nothing to compare it to I'm lovin what I've got.
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Apparently GM thinks the magnetic ride suspension is now good enough to make standard on the C7 Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1, and is an option in the Z51 package. F45 was not that great, but F55 was a significant step up from F45 by most accounts. Shocks are still expensive though at $1600 from Rock Auto. For the C5, choosing between the two depends on how you use it and how much the ability to adjust is worth to you.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:31 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Apparently GM thinks the magnetic ride suspension is now good enough to make standard on the C7 Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1, and is an option in the Z51 package. F45 was not that great, but F55 was a significant step up from F45 by most accounts. Shocks are still expensive though at $1600 from Rock Auto. For the C5, choosing between the two depends on how you use it and how much the ability to adjust is worth to you.
The f55 must be pretty good system if they've carried it out ( or a version of ) to the C7. I'm not tracking mine or doing real high performance stuff.
Running down the coast (spiritedly when traffic allows) top down, rolling through the gears still puts that stupid grin on my face.
If shocks go bad, I'll have to weight the cost of replacing them to going to coil overs or something even with all the computer complications. 30k on car now so hopefully won't be making that decision any time soon.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Computer complications are easy to get rid of with a Tech II. You're in San Francisco, and I have a Tech II. I can probably delete F45 from your car in about one hour, and you would have no computer issues.

No need to go coilovers. Just get some C6 shock variant that suits your needs (C6 base for comfort, C6 Z06 for best handling, and C6 Z51 for in-between) for about $300 or so. If you haven't upgraded your sway bars yet, I upgrade them to C6 Z51 with metal endlinks, even with F45 suspension. The plastic endlinks on the stock sway bars are likely completely shot. You will notice flatter cornering and crisper steering response, at least, that was my personal experience with it.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:02 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Computer complications are easy to get rid of with a Tech II. You're in San Francisco, and I have a Tech II. I can probably delete F45 from your car in about one hour, and you would have no computer issues.

No need to go coilovers. Just get some C6 shock variant that suits your needs (C6 base for comfort, C6 Z06 for best handling, and C6 Z51 for in-between) for about $300 or so. If you haven't upgraded your sway bars yet, I upgrade them to C6 Z51 with metal endlinks, even with F45 suspension. The plastic endlinks on the stock sway bars are likely completely shot. You will notice flatter cornering and crisper steering response, at least, that was my personal experience with it.
Great to know there is that option. Appreciate the offer of help. If I get to that point will take you up on it. Great learning more about the car.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2018, 04:50 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I'll go one further: Either the F55 sucked, or it was completely worn out by the time I got it.

Overly soft, prone to wandering. Sure, it was nice to firm it up or soften it up for bumps, but ultimately it seemed a system designed for comfort rather than performance. Extraordinarily expensive to replace and annoying to disable.

If your roads are good, get C6Z shocks and be done with it. I got adjustable shocks from Viking which work well thus far.
2000 black c5 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 01:27 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by gimp
I'll go one further: Either the F55 sucked, or it was completely worn out by the time I got it.

Overly soft, prone to wandering. Sure, it was nice to firm it up or soften it up for bumps, but ultimately it seemed a system designed for comfort rather than performance. Extraordinarily expensive to replace and annoying to disable.

If your roads are good, get C6Z shocks and be done with it. I got adjustable shocks from Viking which work well thus far.
Seems like the c6 shocks is the way to go. Do you still have to do something to the computer ( like delete f45 ) if going with the c6 shocks? I rarely use the f45 just run in sport mode most of the time, so spending thousands to replace the existing shocks doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:59 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you want to go with anything other than replacement F45 Shocks on your car then you must either delete the F45 RPO from the computer or use Simms or resistors to fool the computer into thinking the F45 shocks are still working. Simms are simply plug and play resistors that plug into the wiring harness in place of each of the 4 shocks being eliminated. The Simms have 10W 10 Ohm resistors with connectors that match the cars wiring harness. You can opt for a much less expensive alternative and just solder 10W 10 Ohm resistors to the cars wiring harness and then fabricate some type of weather proofing to protect the resistors.
Appreciate that tip. Seems like inexpensive, easily reversible solution in case the next guy ( ain't gonna happen anytime soon) wants to go back to original. Makes me wonder how long originals typically last. Too many variables to figure that out i suppose. Everything working fine at this point with low miles (<31K) and I don't beat on it (very often) so hoping not to have to deal with anytime soon.

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Can't even find the F45 shocks new anymore. The only option to keeping selective ride is upgrading the entire system to F55, but that kit is no longer being sold, you would have to scrounge together the parts (ask me how I know).

I would just do the F45 computer delete. The resistors tend to be hit or miss it seems. You don't even need to get rid of the computer, you just need to unplug it. It's inside the rear left cubby. Plug it back in and the F45 system automatically becomes re-enabled, so no worries about reversibility going that route either.
2000 black c5 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 06:28 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My used 03 came lowered with bilstein hd shocks, and the computer reprogrammed . In aligning my car , I asked my suspension guy, who knew a lot more than myself, about replacing the system, as I like all the switches in a car to work. He said don't bother with obsolete tech, just get some coil overs. He is pretty knowledgable , so I repeat his advice for a lowered car here.

In gathering information about the system, it seems response time was the big improvement target. in a magazine piece about the new stuff, that was what the engineers were crowing about.

I am glad my car came with the system deleted through a computer command. putting resisters on the four electrical connectors to the shocks introduces a potential for four additional point of failure. At my interest and skill level, this becomes a drawback to an otherwise good workable solution for others. When better solutions are available, just plugging the ends of the connectors seems a little too shade tree for a car of this complexity.

I should add , I limit my work on the car to easy, shade tree type stuff, mostly put off for longer than needed. Just trying to add perspective to the subject, not advice.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:19 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Can't even find the F45 shocks new anymore. The only option to keeping selective ride is upgrading the entire system to F55, but that kit is no longer being sold, you would have to scrounge together the parts (ask me how I know).

I would just do the F45 computer delete. The resistors tend to be hit or miss it seems. You don't even need to get rid of the computer, you just need to unplug it. It's inside the rear left cubby. Plug it back in and the F45 system automatically becomes re-enabled, so no worries about reversibility going that route either.
Thanks Again for your valuable input and advice , and everyone else whom chimed in. DAMN i love this site. Don't think my local mechanics or even the dealer would be aware of these options. Thread started trying to figure out axle ratio. That answered, morped into understanding of suspension system (f45 vs,f55), appreciate getting the education from members who obviously know their stuff. And to those who aren't really sure but share their experiences with it.
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 AM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

I used a knockoff Tech2 to reprogram my car to turn off F55. $280 or so. Works fine.

I lend it out to people frequently because, hey, share the love!

On the other hand, my car had a 159mph limit, not 80. Once you hit 80 it'd pull power, so in 6th it was like hitting a wall - but in 4th it hardly felt like anything.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Selective Real Time Damping.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:18 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Yep... I'm local to the OP with a clone Tech II... so yeah.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 PM
2000 black c5
Advanced

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I have it in my car, a 2001 C-5. I was reading a couple of road tests of C-5s, before I bought my car, and the "press cars" were so equipped, and since the press all raved about the handling, I ordered it on my car. So far, I've had no issues with the shocks, but today, thinking what issues could present themselves, and the cost to fix them, I regret ordering the option.

Having said that, it's my understanding that the cars computer system adjusts the shock's internal valving, based on what position the selector switch is in. I confess, however, that I seldom switch mine out of the "tour" position, other than once in a while, the thought being to "exercise" the shocks.
Could you tell me how many miles are on your vette? Since you've had no issues I'm hoping to figure out roughly what I might be able to expect miles wise from my f45 shocks. Fingers crossed hoping not to have to replace any time soon. Only 31K on my vette, but 18 years young.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 black c5
Could you tell me how many miles are on your vette? Since you've had no issues I'm hoping to figure out roughly what I might be able to expect miles wise from my f45 shocks. Fingers crossed hoping not to have to replace any time soon. Only 31K on my vette, but 18 years young.
Thanks.
I currently have 27,000 miles on the car. I live in the "snow belt", and the car is stored winters. It's never been determined, with any accuracy, whether or not lowering the car has any ill effects on the life cycle of these shocks, and having said this, I did lower the car somewhat, shortly after buying it. I don't know if the F45 option was the cause of it, but when new, it did look like the car had the "4x4 suspension" option.....
2000 black c5 (09-13-2018)

Quick Reply: C5 Selective Real Time Damping.