C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of Hurst Ball...time for a change

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:14 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Totally get that! Mine is 1 7/8" which is great, but also want a change... still watching.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:58 AM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pounder
according to MGW if you tighten the **** past the end to align it it will cause the rattle,must align where you want it and use the jamb nut to tighten !!!!
This. Mine was making me crazy till I figured this out.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by turabo87

i wish. The problem is not in the threads, it’s in between the insert and the ball itself. A very slight play, almost imperceptible, is enough to make it rattle like a pair of maracas under WOT.

Im amazed at so many responses from you guys. This forum rocks. I ended up ordering a grippy Delrin one, non-weighted, let’s see how it goes. If I’m not happy I’ll bite the bullet and resort to probably Raceseng or TwistedShifterz later on.
I was replying to Grantv's post about using jam nuts or Loctite, not your original problem. If the insert is loose in the ball, not much you can do unless you can actually pull it out.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Don't understand. I am running a cut down standard shifter with a Hurst cue ball shifter. There is no rattle. Never has been. The Hurst insert has no play between it and the actual ball, because the insert is moulded into the plastic ball.

Please explain.
i run this same setup and it is by far the best shifting setup I have experienced in a c5.
On aftermarket non isolated shifters the hurst ball does rattle but there are ways to fix it so it is not a big deal.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 AM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by v8srfun

i run this same setup and it is by far the best shifting setup I have experienced in a c5.
On aftermarket non isolated shifters the hurst ball does rattle but there are ways to fix it so it is not a big deal.
Once I get my new Delrin ball, I might cut down and rethread my shifter later at some point. Having access to a machine shop at work makes it easy for me. How much did you guys cut it down by?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:56 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

I removed around 1" from the top...
Old 09-19-2018, 10:05 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

I have used the Hurst "cue ball" shifter **** in several cars including the C5 and even on non-Hurst shifters and custom one-off short throw shifters. I never had a rattle or a loose insert - but then again I always used the included jam nut. I really like the 2-1/4" diameter size (true billiard ball size and the same material), but that is all a matter of personal preference so as always YMMV
Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

I threaded mine all the way down to the flare
Old 09-19-2018, 02:39 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I threaded mine all the way down to the flare
Me too. IIRC, I cut it just about at the bottom of the slot for the original locking key. You need to make sure it's cut enough so that your chosen shifter **** can thread all the way down, without the "top" of the shift lever bottoming out inside the ****.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:13 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Me too. IIRC, I cut it just about at the bottom of the slot for the original locking key. You need to make sure it's cut enough so that your chosen shifter **** can thread all the way down, without the "top" of the shift lever bottoming out inside the ****.
I had Twistedshifterz cut my ball deep... that way I didn't have to do any threading.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

I use a mid 80's F body GM leather ball with a 9/16" nut JB Welded inside.

Looks good.

Feels good.

I'm not going there.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:07 PM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Got my shifter ****, and after driving with it I gotta say I’m a happy camper. Signficantly smaller diameter than the Hurst, I recommend it for those looking for a **** that your palm can wrap around more. Not super grippy but it’s grippy enough, more than the Hurst. It’s Delrin with a satin type of finish. Got it from eBay.

Last edited by turabo87; 09-23-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:00 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by turabo87
Got my shifter ****, and after driving with it I gotta say I’m a happy camper. Signficantly smaller diameter than the Hurst, I recommend it for those looking for a **** that your palm can wrap around more. Not super grippy but it’s grippy enough, more than the Hurst. It’s Delrin with a satin type of finish. Got it from eBay.

Is this the one you got?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engraved-De...0AAMXQySpRQTYJ

Are the threads cut directly into the delrin or is there a threaded metal insert that is pressed into the ****? Is there a jam nut?

Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Is this the one you got?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engraved-De...0AAMXQySpRQTYJ

Are the threads cut directly into the delrin or is there a threaded metal insert that is pressed into the ****? Is there a jam nut?
Yep, that's the one. The threads are cut directly into the Delrin (no insert), and the threaded hole goes deep almost to the top of the ball so you can set the **** pretty low on the shifter. It brought an aluminum jam sleeve (I call it a sleeve and not a nut because it's not hex shaped but circular instead). I didn't use a jam nut at all because I had previously modified my shifter to be able to rotate the shaft piece and lock it down into whatever position I want with two set screws on the shifter shaft. So how you see it in the pictures is with the **** threaded all the way down with the stock available thread on the C5 shifter. If you need a jam nut, you can always get creative with narrow nylon lock nut 9/16-18 at a hardware store or use Loctite. Not sure how Loctite will work on the long run but it's worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Tired of Hurst Ball...time for a change