C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cat back exhaust for C5Z

Old 09-19-2018, 07:44 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cat back exhaust for C5Z

Any new products that beat the ti exhaust in sound and power worth taking a look at? Last I checked a couple of years ago. The Corsa was the best but made a motorboat sound on a stock setup.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by VettesRule
Any new products that beat the ti exhaust in sound and power worth taking a look at? Last I checked a couple of years ago. The Corsa was the best but made a motorboat sound on a stock setup.
New? None that I'm aware of except maybe XS power.
The motorboat sound is mostly from the H pipe, horrible thing it is. Replace the H with an X when you switch mufflers.
P.S. unless you're pushing loads of power replacing the Ti mufflers are fine for power.

Last edited by grantv; 09-19-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:07 AM
VettesRule
Drifting

XS Power's website doesn't have C5 exhausts, only C6.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:18 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I've never heard anything stock or aftermarket that I like better than the ZO6 TI's. A big Cam and headers sounds awesome with those and a catted cross pipe.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by VettesRule
XS Power's website doesn't have C5 exhausts, only C6.
A few people here have them:

Old 09-21-2018, 05:18 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 366 Likes on 313 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Cat back are basically the same and not a big power gainer.

Guys are running C6 Z06 manifolds, cats, and modified mid pipes resulting in gains near long tubes. Some have used this in California as an alternative to headers.

Last edited by 93Polo; 09-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:29 PM
itsslow98
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I've never heard anything stock or aftermarket that I like better than the ZO6 TI's. A big Cam and headers sounds awesome with those and a catted cross pipe.
I agree, I'm a huge fan of the factory ti. With long tubes and no cats it's pretty aggressive when you are wide open. Call me an old man but I also like the fact that driving around town you can listen to the radio and talk to the passenger without screaming.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I agree, I'm a huge fan of the factory ti. With long tubes and no cats it's pretty aggressive when you are wide open. Call me an old man but I also like the fact that driving around town you can listen to the radio and talk to the passenger without screaming.
here's what mine sounded like before I sold it.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 803 Likes on 529 Posts

i'm glad i welded some cutouts onto my stock-ish axle-back (B&B TriFlows) right behind the diff. lets me keep it quiet & drone free or turn up the fun with a rocker switch.
well worth $500 in parts & labor versus more for a muffler setup that sounds one way all the time

Last edited by _zebra; 09-21-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 692 Likes on 403 Posts

I recently had my Ti on my Z. Wanted to change it up. It does sound good with headers but I wanted something a little louder till I decide to throw my Ti’s back on. Did not want to spend a lot for a exhaust got a great deal on a brand new Borla Stinger. Definitely woke this up. I also like the 2 tips. It does have a little droning depending where you run the rpm’s. But that is easy to avoid.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM
VettesRule
Drifting

Thanks guys.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:48 AM
SKF engineer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the newer cast exhaust manifolds with a single cat on each side ( stock was two on each side ) from the cats it flows into a Corsa X pipe and as of this spring the Corsa Extreme Cat back. For years I ran the the same setup but with the Factory Z06 Ti exhaust. I liked the Ti Exhaust but it was just too quiet, even my wife said so...

These cat back exhaust threads get crazy because there are so many opinions but I couldn't be happier with the Corsa Extreme and the X pipe. It does pop a lot on de-acceleration which I like but it's not for everyone. Just keep listening to other peoples cars and videos to know what you are getting but I couldn't be happier for my vette. Oh and there is no drone with the Corsa's.

My 2 cents...

Last edited by SKF engineer; 09-26-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:16 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SKF engineer
I have the newer cast exhaust manifolds with a single cat on each side ( stock was two on each side ) from the cats it flows into a Corsa X pipe and as of this spring the Corsa Extreme Cat back. For years I ran the the same setup but with the Factory Z06 Ti exhaust. I liked the Ti Exhaust but it was just too quiet, even my wife said so...

These cat back exhaust threads get crazy because there are so many opinions but I couldn't be happier with the Corsa Extreme and the X pipe. It does pop a lot on de-acceleration which I like but it's not for everyone. Just keep listening to other peoples cars and videos to know what you are getting but I couldn't be happier for my vette. Oh and there is no drone with the Corsa's.

My 2 cents...
Different strokes for different folks...

I really dislike the popping on decel. I specifically tune that out as best I can. Also, the catback is only part of the noise equation. If you've already got increased compression, a bigger cam (really bigger), big headers, 3" crosspipe, well, it's plenty loud. I wanted a catted crosspipe just so the cats would be one more muffler. I really prefer even more quiet, but once your motor gets to a certain power level, quiet isn't easy.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:09 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SKF engineer

My 2 cents...
I agree. Swapped my Ti's for Corsa Extremes with x-pipe and love how much better it sounds now. I also like the deceleration popping.

Steve
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 AM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
A few people here have them:
I have the XS power cat back on my C5 convertible, sound is awesome, previous owner mounted it so do not know where he found it but it is made and sold by Huron speed only if i recollect correctly.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Route99
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 666 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I like the sound of the Ti exhaust when really accelerating hard, but for normal cruise and idle they seem a little too quiet for me (but sound and volume is always personal).
We've had different exhaust set ups and have settled on the BBE PRTs. Nice, strong sound when starting and idling. Very good sound (to me) under heavy acceleration but reasonably quiet and no drone when cruising.
If you like the basic sound of the Ti exhaust, you can always use cut outs like zebra mentioned. Quiet when you want and loud when you want. Possibly the best of both worlds.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
x2 those systems handle more power than youd think. Loud does not always equal more powerful.

The firing order imo has something to do wiht that motorboat sound. A stock LS or LT type engine esp a C7 thats stock with a loud exhaust sounds horrible! Definitely a boat.
Them 4 tips gotta go, didnt that phase out with the late 70s trans ams? lol

Get notified of new replies

To cat back exhaust for C5Z

Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

opps wrong thread

Last edited by ShagVette; 02-03-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:43 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I ran the Corsa Indy Pace car's on my C5Z... Loved it... I also like the sound of the GHL... As others have said, hard to beat the OEM titanium's...
Old 02-04-2020, 05:09 PM
PNW_C5Z
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the stock C5Z rear section, but after seeing the internal chambered design of the mufflers, I decided to replace it with the DNA Motoring setup which has small, straight-through round mufflers. It sounds a little meaner, and flows a little better than the stock stuff. I know the tips usually need some fiddling to get lined up straight, but for $275 I can't complain much. I'll keep the stock setup on the shelf.

You can hear it in this clip...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cat back exhaust for C5Z