C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Recovery tank modification

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Coolant Recovery tank modification

I've used the Dorman replacement on 2000+ client cars in the past. I have a client with a '98 that needs a new tank. The new tanks HAVE the provision for the low coolant sensor, however they are not "finished", as in not drilled into the coolant area.

Has anyone tried finishing the hole & installing the sensor into a newer version tank? Even the GM models have the sensor provision, just not drilled.... I'm reluctant to waste $50 if it fails to hold pressure.

TIA!
M...
Old 09-02-2018, 05:14 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn't take a chance when I needed a new tank. I bought one for my '99 that included the sensor already in place. Rockauto.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

I think I got my '99 on Amazon with next day delivery, no drilling required.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:53 PM
Trog
Drifting

Thanks for the replies... We are going to go w/ the correct GM from Amazon. I still may try the upgrade with the old sensor & an old tank I have sitting around. I know the sensor is bugger to get out....
Old 09-28-2018, 12:31 PM
Trog
Drifting

Just a quick update.... After closer inspection of the old & replacement tanks. There is actually a "float" inside the tank that is part of the sensor & I don't think that can be swapped into a new/later model tank. I still have the old tank in my junk pile & may cut it open to look closer. However, I believe it will only confirm my observation.

The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 01:02 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Trog
Just a quick update.... After closer inspection of the old & replacement tanks. There is actually a "float" inside the tank that is part of the sensor & I don't think that can be swapped into a new/later model tank. I still have the old tank in my junk pile & may cut it open to look closer. However, I believe it will only confirm my observation.
just by-pass it !!!!! (jumper wire)

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Recovery tank modification

Quick Reply: Coolant Recovery tank modification