C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Blower Aftermarket Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts
Default AC Blower Aftermarket Options

Hello folks,

My AC Blower motor is giving me warning signs of a soon death. The latest sign was a painful shriek (reminiscent of Jim Carrey's "Most Annoying Sound in the World" in Dumb n' Dumber) upon turning the AC fan on. Once it frees up it works, but still noisy.

Anyway, I just wanted to test the forums to see if anyone has tried a non-AC Delco option and has had good long term results with it. The price gap is very big on this part between aftermarket and OEM AC Delco.

RockAuto offers TYC, Four Seasons, and VDO as aftermarket options. FYI, my Corvette is a 1999 with manual AC controls.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Just pull the fan assembly out and oil up the bronze oil lite bearings inside.. You can easily reach the bearings with an oiler. That should take care of your noises from the fan.

NO,, there are not any replacements for the C5 other than OEM C5. The motor may be able to be removed from the housing but you would have to find a motor with a 1/2' hole in the case for the cooling tube that is incorporated on the OEM motor.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
turabo87 (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 01:28 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I got the Four Seasons and installed it about two years ago. It's a nice looking part, Made in Canada. It has a little more of a mechanical "whirr" than the original, but it works great and wasn't too difficult to install. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
turabo87 (10-01-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 06:28 PM
turabo87
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Just pull the fan assembly out and oil up the bronze oil lite bearings inside.. You can easily reach the bearings with an oiler. That should take care of your noises from the fan.

NO,, there are not any replacements for the C5 other than OEM C5. The motor may be able to be removed from the housing but you would have to find a motor with a 1/2' hole in the case for the cooling tube that is incorporated on the OEM motor.

Bill
Bill, you nailed it. I was able to remove it and oil it well, even packed some bearing grease from the bottom hole where the bearing is housed in. Not only that, but a big part of my noises were a bunch of dry leaves inside of the unit. Works like a charm now. Saved myself some $$ for now.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Blower Aftermarket Options

Quick Reply: AC Blower Aftermarket Options