C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket gauge lighting dimming question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 PM
TraviZ06
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket gauge lighting dimming question

How is a good way to get the aftermarket gauges on my A pillar to dim with everything else?
I tapped into the brown wire behind the trunk release switch and that works fine for providing backlighting with headlights on but I want to be fancy and make them dim as well..
I tapped the white wire behind the trunk release switch and surprisingly it would dim, but on reverse of everything else, so when i turned off the dash lighting, the gauge was full bright and vice versa..
anyone dealt with this?
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 PM
CinciZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by TraviZ06
How is a good way to get the aftermarket gauges on my A pillar to dim with everything else?
I tapped into the brown wire behind the trunk release switch and that works fine for providing backlighting with headlights on but I want to be fancy and make them dim as well..
I tapped the white wire behind the trunk release switch and surprisingly it would dim, but on reverse of everything else, so when i turned off the dash lighting, the gauge was full bright and vice versa..
anyone dealt with this?
If your aftermarket gauges dim when introduced to a 12v source you could tap into the solid orange wire of the hvac harness, I think it’s pin 6 if I remember right (verify before you do this), and run a wire up to it.

Last edited by CinciZ06; 04-16-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:49 PM
thatguy662
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it a gauge overlay or a pillar pod gauge? Either way, they may not have dimming capability. I put my gauge on a dimmer switch and it cuts it roughly in half when “on”
Old 04-17-2019, 02:36 PM
TraviZ06
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a pillar gauge, and it dims just fine, just dims in reverse to what my dash cluster is normally doing.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket gauge lighting dimming question

Quick Reply: Aftermarket gauge lighting dimming question