C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Cooler in Z06 Rear Brake Duct

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 07:13 PM
simman22
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Trans Cooler in Z06 Rear Brake Duct

So I’m auto swapping my C5Z (not looking to get into the “you are a tool for destroying a Z06” argument) but I was wondering if anyone had real world experience of putting the trans cooler in one of the side rear brake ducts and if it provided enough airflow. The cars primary focus is drag racing but I will want to drive it around when it’s nice. I just wanted to ask now while I still have a clean slate, thanks in advance! Once again, if your input is why I shouldn’t do it, then be prepared to give me a free automatic c5 with a new 370ci engine, nitrous setup, and full bolt ons haha.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:34 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

The automatic transmission produces a LOT of heat and the ATF fluid has to be able reject all that excess heat. Not sure a small cooler in one or even both of the rear Z06 brake ducts (with smaller puller fans) would have enough BTU rejection capability to handle the heat from the automatic transmission. Plus you have to also remember that the factory cooler in the radiator also acts to warm the ATF quicker on a cold. Personally, I would just fit the car with a fabricated all aluminum radiator with an integrale ATF cooler and run the lines up front similarly to what you would find in the factory C5 automatic transmission setup. GLW your project!
Old 08-20-2018, 11:18 AM
simman22
Instructor

Thanks! This is the kind of information I was looking for. I picked the car up as a roller originally and put a new radiator in that has the provisions for the trans cooler already. The last C5 I had was an auto with a loose 3800 Yank in it and I bypassed the radiator and had a stand-alone cooler attached to the radiator and it worked pretty well unless I was cruising around in the mountains too slow for lockup so I wanted to explore some different options before I go back with the same setup. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 AM
simman22
Instructor

Didn’t end up putting the coolers in that spot due to not wanting to do everything twice. I ended up getting AN adapters for the hard lines behind the engine and running them to the cooler in front of the ac condenser. Overall the auto swap was super easy and with the Yank PAS3800 it is a blast to drive and If you find someone wanting to swap the other way (and build your own transmission like me) the cost is only the aftermarket parts you want to put in. I couldn’t find clarification on getting the trans temp to show up in the DIC but after the segment swap it (as well as “brake before shift”) automatically showed up. If there is any interest I can do a build thread as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Cooler in Z06 Rear Brake Duct

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler in Z06 Rear Brake Duct