C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears wont go in when motor running

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 08:56 PM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

update, finally got the rear end out the way, not hard at all just time consuming....anyways ALL 6 flywheel bolts were loose, one backed out so far it was hitting the rivets on the cutch disc, should I get another disc?

Old 10-28-2018, 09:02 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

who did the install?... I would see if they will cover any of the damage
Old 10-28-2018, 09:44 PM
z0stix
Racer

Originally Posted by neutron82
who did the install?... I would see if they will cover any of the damage
I did, i do my own work, although my cousin was the one who tightened the flywheel bolts when we dropped the motor in, but I was the one who set the torque wrench....so who knows....maybe the torque wrench is innacurate...unless 800+ whp causes this type of stuff ... just glad it's nothing major
Old 10-29-2018, 06:13 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

800 HP. LOL!! I would want the clutch to be all it can be but,, it doesn't looks compromised. How many miles on the clutch??

You can see what it takes to revisit this issue. If it were me, I would get NEW BOLTS, red high strength lock tight and do the job correctly.

Look on You Tube and search TORQUE WRENCH CALIBRATION DYI.. Provides a self DYI cal for your torque wrench.

If it were me, and the clutch had a bunch of miles on it, at a minimum, I would replace the slave, pilot bearing and disk. When it was first installed, did it function properly> How was your peddle release and engagement??? Compare the disk pad thickness with a new disk.

Bill
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM
z0stix
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
800 HP. LOL!! I would want the clutch to be all it can be but,, it doesn't looks compromised. How many miles on the clutch??

You can see what it takes to revisit this issue. If it were me, I would get NEW BOLTS, red high strength lock tight and do the job correctly.

Look on You Tube and search TORQUE WRENCH CALIBRATION DYI.. Provides a self DYI cal for your torque wrench.

If it were me, and the clutch had a bunch of miles on it, at a minimum, I would replace the slave, pilot bearing and disk. When it was first installed, did it function properly> How was your peddle release and engagement??? Compare the disk pad thickness with a new disk.

Bill
slave, pilot and clutch were all installed new together about 3 years but it's not a daily and I live in a small town.

I replaced the pilot bearing about 1 year ago, because the new GM bearing i had installed failed, all those needle bearings came apart and was making crunching noises when I shifted gears....so I replaced with a bearing from O'Reilly's and all has been well with that one

I already ordered new arp bolts, thank god for amazon prime 1 day delivery
Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I had that problem

If you cut your old fly wheel to resurface it you hlget that problem I had to buy a new fly wheel that's the only way I was able to fix it it did work buy putting washers behind the slave cylender mounting but I didn't want to go that route so I bought a new fly wheel don't ask me why that happened Im just letting you know my experience with that problem good luck
Old 10-30-2018, 12:32 AM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by road dog
If you cut your old fly wheel to resurface it you hlget that problem I had to buy a new fly wheel that's the only way I was able to fix it it did work buy putting washers behind the slave cylender mounting but I didn't want to go that route so I bought a new fly wheel don't ask me why that happened Im just letting you know my experience with that problem good luck
You get loose flywheel bolts? I don't think so. Yes, shimming the slave cylinder is sometimes necessary but I have a resurfaced OEM flywheel with no shims and it's fine...you have to measure to be sure.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:44 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger

Guys - is it me or an optical illusion - but does it look like the entire pressure plate/crank is moving a lot?
Good Catch

Last edited by vettenuts; 10-30-2018 at 08:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ed Ramberger (11-12-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 PM
z0stix
Racer

I took my discs to get re done, well my uncle did, but they put the wrong pads on, these are similar to an rst disc material....I believe rxt is ceramic??
Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 PM
Stockvette03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to stop letting ur fam "help" with ur vette lol
cant wait to see it in action! GL
Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

yeah those definitely don't look the same as the pics of the disc that you posted... I know how you feel man dealing with companies and people that can't get sh*t right, it's frustrating as hell
Old 11-12-2018, 06:35 PM
z0stix
Racer

update, been busy working on my ctsv new forged motor, but I decided to order new rxt discs, screw paying over 500 bucks for them here in the us, so since I live in a border town, my uncle asked a clutch shop in mexico if they knew the company that makes these discs, turns out it's a mexican company that mcleod uses, they found the correct discs and they were almost 300 bucks for the pair...so yea ..saved me a good chunk

Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

lol

Quick Reply: Gears wont go in when motor running