C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Success with rear hard brake line

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Rick in KC
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Success with rear hard brake line

Finally got brave enough to tackle the left rear hard brake line. It had been rubbing against the axle and eventually started leaking. I received a bunch of help from members but still had trouble finding the actual part. I did a lot of research on AGS Poly Armour's site and narrowed my choices down. Comparing the fittings on the hard line with the fittings on the flexible brake hose led me to part PAEX-351. Its 51 inches long, 3/16 diameter, bubble flare and M10x1 nut on each end. It was also only $8.49, and in stock, at my local auto parts store. Accessing the brake end was relatively easy but the other end, located above the transmission, was a lot more challenging. Using a 13mm flare wrench and a basic 13mm open end wrench I was able to reach up in front of the axle and acces the connection. I put the flare wrench on one side and wedged it against the body and left it there. No room for two hands but the flare wrench defied gravity and stayed there (maybe the wrap-around design had more to do with it?). Using the open end wrench and mostly my left hand, I was able to loosen the connection. The new part was an exact fit. I had also purchased a clawfoot flare set thinking that might help in the tunnel, but I found it more useful on the brake end, allowing me to tighten the nut from below with a 12 inch extension. I know it's not much but wanted to pass on my thanks for the information and maybe help somebody in the future.

The following users liked this post:
dmaleck (10-27-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 06:44 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats! Nice work
Rick in KC (10-27-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 10:55 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the post! I have to tackle this exact project in a week or so... I have a few questions. One, what parts store did you purchase the brake line at? Second, where did you make all your bends ect to reach the caliper and not be to short or long? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 316 Posts

Make sure that the hard lines are secured to the rear sub frame so you don't have to do that again.
Rick in KC (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 AM
Rick in KC
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea on securing it. I was lucky and only had to remove one clip that held the two lines together in about the middle, just before they split and went to left and right axle. I found the part online at Autozone and their inventory was correct and it was in stock. I made the bends according to the old one I remove, even though I cut it in half to remove. The top half, above the tranny, only had two fairly straight segments before the big sweeping curve. I fed the bottom half through the suspension maze and did most of the bending and fitting then. The Poly Armour was very easy to work with and did not require bending tools. Good luck and be sure to wear glasses since every piece of dirt is going to fall on your face, and even the wrench a few times.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:44 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in KC
Good idea on securing it. I was lucky and only had to remove one clip that held the two lines together in about the middle, just before they split and went to left and right axle. I found the part online at Autozone and their inventory was correct and it was in stock. I made the bends according to the old one I remove, even though I cut it in half to remove. The top half, above the tranny, only had two fairly straight segments before the big sweeping curve. I fed the bottom half through the suspension maze and did most of the bending and fitting then. The Poly Armour was very easy to work with and did not require bending tools. Good luck and be sure to wear glasses since every piece of dirt is going to fall on your face, and even the wrench a few times.
Awesome, Thank you for your help!
Old 10-28-2018, 09:27 AM
99blkfrc99
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

When I did my clutch I just shoved them up to the body. Secured them wherever I could. Never have to worry about them again with axles and rear sub frame removal etc.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:18 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

All's well that ends well.

Get notified of new replies

To Success with rear hard brake line

Quick Reply: Success with rear hard brake line