C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse gear swap. Trans question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Chris Staebler
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse gear swap. Trans question

Hello,

I have the dreaded reverse gear popping out if gear. I'm sure the fork ends are chewed to hell, wouldn't be surprised If by now the reverse gear is bad too. I have read it can be repaired without removing the whole trans. To do so do I need to remove diff and trans extension housing sepertely to access? Anyone have experience doing this job?

thanks

Old 11-07-2018, 08:26 PM
ttchybrid
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yes. I do this repair in the car. Drop the sub frame and diff. Remove extension housing. Be sure to clean both mating surfaces with a brush so you don't damage the cross hatch surface on the tranny and extension housing. This cross hatch holds the sealer properly. You'll need snap ring pliers to remove snap rings for the fork, and another snap ring pliers to remove reverse gear.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Chris Staebler
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ttchybrid
yes. I do this repair in the car. Drop the sub frame and diff. Remove extension housing. Be sure to clean both mating surfaces with a brush so you don't damage the cross hatch surface on the tranny and extension housing. This cross hatch holds the sealer properly. You'll need snap ring pliers to remove snap rings for the fork, and another snap ring pliers to remove reverse gear.
Awesome, where do you purchase your parts from? Are both seals just RTV or do I need some gaskets? Any other gaskets I need or advice? How do I remove rear half shafts from diff?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM
ttchybrid
Advanced

I buy from the GM dealer. You can re-use the o-ring on the extension, just lube it. I use a long pry bar to pry the shafts out. I use the ultra grey sealer on the extension housing to tranny. If its a high mile car I would replace the 2 oil seals in the extension housing(I don't remember the part numbers right now)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Chris Staebler
7th Gear

I buy from the GM dealer. You can re-use the o-ring on the extension, just lube it. I use a long pry bar to pry the shafts out. I use the ultra grey sealer on the extension housing to tranny. If its a high mile car I would replace the 2 oil seals in the extension housing(I don't remember the part numbers right now)
man, wish I knew what you meant when you said pry the shafts out. Can you give me a quick how to on the process? Will be a life saver!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 PM
ttchybrid
Advanced

put your long pry bar between the diff case cover and axle and give it a quick pry and that will let the spring compress and let axle pop out
Old 11-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Chris Staebler
7th Gear

put your long pry bar between the diff case cover and axle and give it a quick pry and that will let the spring compress and let axle pop out
oooh you were referring to the half shafts. All seems pretty straight forward. Once I remove the snap rings can I just pull everything off by hand or will I need a puller of some sort. Also do I need just a reverse gear and shift fork pads? Nothing else?

Last edited by Chris Staebler; 11-07-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I've also bought T56 parts from Tick, The Gear Box, and Hawks Motorsports. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Please let us know how you make out with repair. Can you document it with some pictures??

BC
Old 11-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Chris Staebler
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Please let us know how you make out with repair. Can you document it with some pictures??

BC

yes, I will document the process because I'm having a tough time finding info on it. Any other tips from the guys who have done it before?

Get notified of new replies

To Reverse gear swap. Trans question

Quick Reply: Reverse gear swap. Trans question