C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Kellnerz06
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak Help?

Hello,

So early this year I replaced my clutch on my corvette C5 Z06 with the Mcleod rst twin disc and with their steel billet flywheel. Now I changed the pilot bearing but I used the bread trick to force the bearing out, not knowing there is a oil galley plug that sits behind the bearing. Anyway I managed to retrieve this plug as it luckily didn't fall into the engine due to my con-rod covering half the hole and stopping it in its tracks. Now I cleaned the plug up and made sure it was all okay and tapped it back into the crank but since everything has been back together I have had a slight oil leak now here comes the 3 questions:

1. What is the size and part number for the new freeze plug to go into the crank for C5 models.
2. How far are they suppose to be tapped into the crank roughly.
3. I used ARP flywheel bolts (Torqued to 84ftlbs) but never used loctite on them and only high temp ceramic grease. Have read that these bolts go into a through hole and if you don't use the loctite these can leak due to oil weeping past is this true??

Car drives fine and clutch doesn't slip either and have been driving it since July this year would of thought if oil is on the clutch plates it would cause it to smell and slip due to the oil.
Any advice would greatly help.

Josh
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellnerz06
Hello,

So early this year I replaced my clutch on my corvette C5 Z06 with the Mcleod rst twin disc and with their steel billet flywheel. Now I changed the pilot bearing but I used the bread trick to force the bearing out, not knowing there is a oil galley plug that sits behind the bearing. Anyway I managed to retrieve this plug as it luckily didn't fall into the engine due to my con-rod covering half the hole and stopping it in its tracks. Now I cleaned the plug up and made sure it was all okay and tapped it back into the crank but since everything has been back together I have had a slight oil leak now here comes the 3 questions:

1. What is the size and part number for the new freeze plug to go into the crank for C5 models.
2. How far are they suppose to be tapped into the crank roughly.
3. I used ARP flywheel bolts (Torqued to 84ftlbs) but never used loctite on them and only high temp ceramic grease. Have read that these bolts go into a through hole and if you don't use the loctite these can leak due to oil weeping past is this true??

Car drives fine and clutch doesn't slip either and have been driving it since July this year would of thought if oil is on the clutch plates it would cause it to smell and slip due to the oil.
Any advice would greatly help.

Josh
I've done many freeze plugs. It should be about in 1/8" deep bit and I put a very thin layer of Black silicone for insurance I used ARP bolts also and did not use any Loctite and I had it on there for 10 years. And I think I torque down to 60ft lbs

Last edited by helga203; 11-14-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellnerz06
Hello,

Josh
True. The new replacement GM bolts come with red locktite on them.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

How do you know the leak is coming from the rear? Have you pulled the clutch inspection cover and cleaned up then verified?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:45 AM
Kellnerz06
Heel & Toe

To be honest, no I haven't yet taken that off to inspect I'm just presuming as there was no leak before and that was the only thing that I can think of that would of caused the leak, but would have to take the headers off and inspect properly but when looking through the two gaps on the inspection plat the back wall looks clean when shining a light in so could be from else where Im not sure. What I think I will do is get the new freeze plug so I have that at the ready as and when I pull the inspection plat off to verify if its not leaking from there then I will have to try and find the source.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Kellnerz06
Heel & Toe

Just to clarify is the freeze plug 1" in diameter and a cup shape plug is that I need? seems difficult to find the source of what the actual part is called after many google searches and shopping around but if I just need a steel 1" cup style plug I can get one.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leak Help?

Quick Reply: Oil leak Help?