C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know the belt tensioner bearing size off hand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:25 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Anyone know the belt tensioner bearing size off hand?

Can't seem to find it. I know I can replace the entire pulley but I'd love to just press a bearing into my OE pulley if possible. I did find 6203LLAX30N1V281 but it seems very hard to find and expensive.

Thanks much

Dave

Last edited by T_Vert; 12-16-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 PM
RedTRex
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 78 Posts

As cheap as they are, IMO not worth the time to track down bearings. Even Autozone has them on hand
Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Yeah I was having an issue getting the tensioner pulley PN. but I found an aftermarket pulley. Do you know if there is a PN for the main acc. tensioner pulley? I can get an aftermarket tensioner pulley for around $10 but the OE tensioner assembly (only way i find sold) is $60+

Dave
Old 12-17-2018, 04:55 AM
Wtss
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This bearing cannot be replaced. It is molded in plastic, I've tried
Pulley is not that expensive, I think escalade/hummer/tahoe/... is cheaper and will fit well, it is only 1-2 mm smaller than original. Works good in my car
Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
Yeah I was having an issue getting the tensioner pulley PN. but I found an aftermarket pulley. Do you know if there is a PN for the main acc. tensioner pulley? I can get an aftermarket tensioner pulley for around $10 but the OE tensioner assembly (only way i find sold) is $60+

Dave
What's wrong with a "name brand" aftermarket pulley?
Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
What's wrong with a "name brand" aftermarket pulley?
For some reason I just feel like I want to stay w/ OE parts as the car gets older. I am not so certain the new one will last 18 years like the originals did. And the originals are really fine for all intents and purposes, just a hair noisy when spinning which i'd never hear over the my valvetrain anyway. I guess I'm sentimental towards this car for some odd reason. Sill have stock exhaust for it, heads, etc. I think the stock cam may be the only thing I still don't have, With that said, I did get non OE ACDELCO replacements last night on amazon.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:13 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
For some reason I just feel like I want to stay w/ OE parts as the car gets older. I am not so certain the new one will last 18 years like the originals did. And the originals are really fine for all intents and purposes, just a hair noisy when spinning which i'd never hear over the my valvetrain anyway. I guess I'm sentimental towards this car for some odd reason. Sill have stock exhaust for it, heads, etc. I think the stock cam may be the only thing I still don't have, With that said, I did get non OE ACDELCO replacements last night on amazon.
You realize, don't you, that GM did NOT manufacture all of the parts that went into your Corvette, right?? They "farmed out" many of the parts to "outside suppliers", and in many cases, that supplier is the "low bidder". Just something to consider....
Old 12-17-2018, 12:46 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You realize, don't you, that GM did NOT manufacture all of the parts that went into your Corvette, right?? They "farmed out" many of the parts to "outside suppliers", and in many cases, that supplier is the "low bidder". Just something to consider....
I'm well aware. I'm also aware that the OE part has lasted 18 years and would continue to function if I left it on there. I'm also aware of other bearings I've put on that lased 2 years before having to be replaced again. The hardening and other materials used on many items are sub par w/ spotty QA..

Dave
Old 12-17-2018, 12:58 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I see you already ordered new AC Delcos, but just for anyone else who should happen upon this thread in the future: 6203 is a common bearing size, all parts stores and your local industrial supply will have them in stock. They are pretty cheap.

Can't confirm whether it's possible to press a new one into the tensioner, but I have pressed a replacement bearing into the idler. It's very easy to just press the old bearing out and the new bearing in, but you can't assume it went in straight. Mine had visible wobble when I was done. I put a dial indicator on it and marked the where the bearing was sitting high/low, then took it back to the press, and went through a few iterations of tweaking it, bolting it back on the engine and re-checking with the dial indicator, and tweaking it again to get it to run nice and true. It's been on there for a couple years and is still in great shape. I think doing it this way is fun, but the off-the-shelf replacements are a perfectly valid fix too!
Old 12-17-2018, 06:53 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

thanks guys. When I get a chance I'll press the bearings out and confirm the dimensions.

Dave
Old 12-17-2018, 07:55 PM
1blkc4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check rock auto they have a bunch ac delco is like 13 bucks plus they have a 5% discount code just google it .

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know the belt tensioner bearing size off hand?

Quick Reply: Anyone know the belt tensioner bearing size off hand?