Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page >

LS1 vs LS6 intakes: Engineering specs differences?

Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 vs LS6 intakes: Engineering specs differences?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:31 PM
turabo87
CF Senior Member

Default LS1 vs LS6 intakes: Engineering specs differences?

Hi folks,

I'm sure this has been talked about before. What are the actual specs differences between the LS1 and LS6 intake manifold that makes the LS6 intake flow better? They look nearly identical to the untrained eye. Runner length? Runner volume? Overall Plenum volume? Port area? I'm really curious. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:54 PM
jumpmanmb87
CF Senior Member

I believe they are the same thing after a certain year.. aka your ls1 one might already have one.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:31 PM
redzg
CF Senior Member

You need a copy of "How to Build High Performance LS1/LS7 V-8s" by WIll Handzel. In addition to being a great overall reference, Mr. Handzel has a well written background on the development of the LS1 and LS6, including considerable data on how the LS6 intake improved on the basics developed for the LS1. My copy is not near to hand at the moment for quotes, but trust me everyone wants to read this book, even if they don't know it yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to redzg For This Useful Post:
turabo87 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Gordy M
CF Senior Member

In 2001 the Corvette intake manifold was changed on all the models. The configuration for the base and Z06 is the same other than some plumbing, but they flow the same. For the base engine, the hp went up to 350 and the torque increased to 360 (auto) or about 370 (manuel) ft-lbs and the torque under peak was increased in the 1500-4000 rpm range. Hence slightly better low rpm acceleration.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Johnny Hardcore
CF Senior Member

Default This should help....

Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
In 2001 the Corvette intake manifold was changed on all the models. The configuration for the base and Z06 is the same other than some plumbing, but they flow the same. For the base engine, the hp went up to 350 and the torque increased to 360 (auto) or about 370 (manuel) ft-lbs and the torque under peak was increased in the 1500-4000 rpm range. Hence slightly better low rpm acceleration.
The below link provides a performance comparison between stock LS1 intake vs LS6 vs all other leading brands. The main variance between the design of the LS1...it is curved on the bottom. The LS6 is flat providing maximixed airflow. By eliminating the curve in the LS1 it ultimately lead to much more breathability in what looks to be exactly the same from the top.

hhttps://www.mrk-motorsports.com/20-popular-ls1-intake-manifolds-dyno-tested/

Another good book to check out "How to Rebuild GM LS- Series Engines" by Chris Werner. The motor rebuild being referenced and photographed at LRB Performance is my LS1.

Last edited by Johnny Hardcore; 01-12-2019 at 10:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Hardcore For This Useful Post:
turabo87 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 PM
redzg
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Hardcore View Post
Another good book to check out "How to Rebuild GM LS- Series Engines" by Chris Werner.
Another excellent read, full of valuable information. And so much less expensive than pulling my motor apart just for the fun of it.
For now.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 PM
Johnny Hardcore
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by redzg View Post
Another excellent read, full of valuable information. And so much less expensive than pulling my motor apart just for the fun of it.
For now.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 PM
Johnny Hardcore
CF Senior Member

What really surprised me is how competive/ high performing the stock LS6 intake actually is in comparison to the original FAST intake. From a price comparison/ cost per HP is a much better return with the LS6.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM
captaingeek
CF Member

Hi there,

I have a 1999 C5. Upgrading the intake a cheap performance upgrade for me? What should I look for? Used LS6 intake?
Old 01-13-2019, 11:03 PM
foggy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
Hi there,

I have a 1999 C5. Upgrading the intake a cheap performance upgrade for me? What should I look for? Used LS6 intake?

YES.. Find a 2001 or newer intake from any corvette or even F body LS motor.. It will be the new 2001+ design.
Do a search here and you can find the actual GM part numbers that you'll want. Really can't beat the LS new design in a street car.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM
turabo87
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Hardcore View Post
The below link provides a performance comparison between stock LS1 intake vs LS6 vs all other leading brands. The main variance between the design of the LS1...it is curved on the bottom. The LS6 is flat providing maximixed airflow. By eliminating the curve in the LS1 it ultimately lead to much more breathability in what looks to be exactly the same from the top.

hhttps://www.mrk-motorsports.com/20-popular-ls1-intake-manifolds-dyno-tested/

Another good book to check out "How to Rebuild GM LS- Series Engines" by Chris Werner. The motor rebuild being referenced and photographed at LRB Performance is my LS1.
Excellent book indeed. It was right at my side as a trusty companion when I did my NA cam build, especially when putting things back and torqueing everything back. It's priceless to have during a rebuild.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 vs LS6 intakes: Engineering specs differences?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: