C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights go up when battery connected, won't go back down

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:57 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Headlights go up when battery connected, won't go back down

Yes I have HIDS, No this never occurred before. Yes I tried to turn on high beams to shut off lights. All lights work as they should. Of note: I had the entire drive line and harness out. I went through the entire service manual and I see the headlight motors are fed either +12v to DK BLU ( 579) or LT BLU(578). Everything else in the car works, all grounds are intact and have continuity to the battery and chassis. All fuses in underhood electrical center are good but I think there is probably only one fuse for th entire Headlamp opening door actuator control module. I had read somewhere that a blown #7 fuse in passenger foootwell could cause it but that is good as well. Anyone else run into this? I highly doubt that the headlamp opening door actuator control module took a crap on me given all the work I just did. I didn't touch much having to do w/ the headlight harness with the exception of where it goes into the passenger compartment.

Also oddly I have +12V to both blue and light blue so the Headlight control module is acting quite odd. I can apply 12V to he headlight door motor and it will go up/down so it's to to be something with the door control module but I cannot believe it's bad just by swapping the drive train in/out.

Thanks much

Dave

Last edited by T_Vert; 01-15-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Well the service manuals came through in spades today. The schematics were driving me nuts and with only partials on most of the pages it was very convoluted. The systematic troubleshooting helped me understand the circuit and brought me to looking at circuit 306. I saw I had power to the fuse box so I knew my probe was somewhere in there. Turns out I had a bent pin E6 in fuse box connector C2. What a pain that was..

Dave
Old 01-19-2019, 01:03 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Yep, the headlight circuit is designed to fail open. The same thing happens if you unhook the column switch.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Yep, the headlght circuit is designed to fail open. The same thing happens if you unhook the column switch.
Makes sense. It just found it odd it supplied +12V to both sides .

Dave
Old 01-19-2019, 05:14 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

This isn't the twilight feature on the dash is it? I had this happen when I did my cam swap. The headlights would pop up. I had to turn off the twilight feature on dic. Not sure if its the same thing you have going on. I dont know how mine even got switched to that.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights go up when battery connected, won't go back down

Quick Reply: Headlights go up when battery connected, won't go back down