C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a Michelin Pilot run flat tire be patched?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Crussader
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Can a Michelin Pilot run flat tire be patched?

Picked up a nail. I thought I'd have Discount Tire patch it for now instead of running around on zero pressure until I have time for a permanent solution. Anything different about these tires that prevent them from being patched?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:08 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

What did discount tire say?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:23 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

DON'T run around with zero pressure. You will ruin the tire. It should be repairable.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:40 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

As long as it's mid-tread and not into the sidewall, a plug kit will work fine. I had to plug one of my Pilots when they were almost new a few years back. Works perfectly. My old Firestone SZ 250's had probably a total of 6 plugs in them during their lifetime - never lost pressure, never a problem. Except that the big box home stores tend to have nails and screws scattered in their parking lots - some people are just plain careless.

Tires stores will tell you one of two things - if they are honest, they will plug it for you. If they are not so honest they will tell you you have to buy a new tire "right now". From them, of course.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Crussader
Racer

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
What did discount tire say?
It just happened. Haven't asked them yet.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Crussader
Racer

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
DON'T run around with zero pressure. You will ruin the tire. It should be repairable.
I won't be driving on them for long. It got down to zero about a mile before I got to work today. Have to get it home tonight and then to Discount Tire on Saturday which is about 35 more miles. (Driving wife's car next couple of days). Any idea how much damage I will have done by then?

Old 01-16-2019, 04:05 PM
uz1290
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would at least try to air it up at a gas station or something if you're going to ride around on it some more, or just enough air to get back home.
Also, I would maybe look into just removing the tire from the car yourself and take that in another car to not have to risk riding around with zero pressure.

One last comment, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, if you've picked up a screw versus a nail, I've had luck with very slightly turning in a screw more into the tire. It seems to actually serve as a plug in the meantime while I am able to get a patch. I've done this multiple times, but I would verify to make sure there is actually a screw and not a nail. I wouldn't try this with a nail.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 PM
Crussader
Racer

Originally Posted by uz1290
I would at least try to air it up at a gas station or something if you're going to ride around on it some more
Good idea. I didn't think of that. Although, it was losing about a pound of pressure every two miles this morning. Still, it would be better than nothing.

not have to risk riding around with zero pressure
Risk? I thought this was the whole purpose of having run flats.

Last edited by Crussader; 01-16-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 325 Posts

Runflats are intended to allow you to drive to a safe place to have your tire repaired or replaced. IIRC a runflat is good for about 50 miles with no air. The more you drive without air, the more likely you will be replacing vs repairing. You are breaking down the side wall as you drive with no air.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 979 Likes on 622 Posts

Having experienced Discount tires repair policy, I doubt they will fix that tire, especially since you have driven that many miles. Each tire manufacturer has a limit on miles driven. Good luck
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM
twostepdon
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I had Discount Tire repair a Michelin Pilot run flat yesterday. There is a plug in the tire where the nail was but they also took the tire off the rim. They may have put a patch on the inside as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:03 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by twostepdon
I had Discount Tire repair a Michelin Pilot run flat yesterday. There is a plug in the tire where the nail was but they also took the tire off the rim. They may have put a patch on the inside as well.
Then it's probably a patch-plug combination.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:05 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Put air in now and get a plug kit and d it yourself.

I had a screw in my PS2 and removed the wheel from the car. Removed the screw and used a tubeless tire plug kit to fix it. Used the reamer to enlarge the hole. put rubber cement in the hole, then used the plug insertion tool to put in a plug. My dad used to use a match to ignite the end of the plug and let it burn for about 5 seconds then wait about 5 minutes and use a pair of diagonal side cutters to trim off all but about 1/4 inch of the plug sticking above the tread; My repair was about 10 years ago and the tire has run 20 or 30 thousand miles with no problems.
I agree with the comment to inflate the tire so you don't ruin the sidewall by running with no air. You can overinflate the tire to 40# or 45# if it will hold air. If not don't drive any further on it deflated but remove it and patch it as described above. Total cost if repair about $5.00, The price of a tubeless tire repair kit.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:49 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Plugs work but a patch on the interior is more reliable.
Funny story - I stopped for gas years ago on the way to driving my brother to the airport in my Saturn Vue, and noticed my left rear tire was quite flat. On inspecting the tire I found a deck screw protruding from the tire. Not wanting to, or having the time to, change the tire, I gobbed some 5200 adhesive/sealant caulk I had in the car all over the exposed screw and area of the puncture and screwed it in flush with the tire. I filled the tire up with air and proceeded to the airport. I sort of forgot about that repair for a while and it wasn't 'till months later when I remembered, I had it repaired with a plug. The head of the screw was worn down totally flat with the surface of the tire and it never leaked any air at all in a couple of thousand miles. Not recommended though, either way, get it fixed right.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

It's best to avoid plugs. Have them take it off the rim and patch from the inside.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 PM
ncali
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I just found out that driving on a runflat with zero air tears up the inside of the sidewall
It got me home and looked undamaged from the outside

Get notified of new replies

To Can a Michelin Pilot run flat tire be patched?

Quick Reply: Can a Michelin Pilot run flat tire be patched?