C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touchy stability control

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 PM
jglassmaker
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Touchy stability control

So I took a trip to NC and paid a visit to the famous Tail of the Dragon! It wasn't until late into driving it did I notice the stability control was triggering on almost every corner. So I turned it into competitive driving mode until the road starting become more straight. Then I noticed sometimes stability control would activate when changing lanes on the interstate... I had to drive the car home in competitive mode.

I did some searching and most issues revolve around a "Service stability control system" message with DTC codes - however I have not seen that message and last I checked, had no DTC codes for it.

Could this simply be the steering wheel angle senor about to go out?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 PM
coia96vette
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The next time it does that, pull your codes before turning the car off. I had the same systems on my '04 when we took a trip down there. Found out the SWPS was going out. It can take awhile to set a code though. If you get the C1287 and/or C1288 code that will be your problem If your car is an '01 or newer you can still buy a new one. The part # is 88965543. They cost around $70.
The following users liked this post:
jglassmaker (01-17-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:58 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Or you can unplug the SWPS sensor down on the floor at base of steering column.. That will turn off Active Handling. You will still have Traction Control and ABS. Pressing the active button then will turn Traction Control on or off.

Get notified of new replies

To Touchy stability control

Quick Reply: Touchy stability control